Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Carpet Removal 2012 2DR

Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it make the exhaust/road noise any louder in the cab.? Is it hotter?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Rooster76;3116342]
TIPS ON REMOVING THE SHIFT KNOBS by someone who has never done it
I have heard that one way is to pry the bottom part off the shifter. Then you put a towel around the knob so it doesn't get scratched. Then putting a pair of pliers under the knob and wacking it up with a hammer. If you decide to pull it off you might want to wear a helmet or you might give yourself a black eye.
If you have a 6-speed this video will be helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEblyJvRvjc QUOTE]

Great write up! I'm seriously wanting to do this to my '12. With 2 dogs and 3 kids, the carpet in my '08 got trashed. This video is actually me removing the shift knob from my '08. LOL! Funny to see someone else find it and use it. Cheers!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcgee149
Did it make the exhaust/road noise any louder in the cab.? Is it hotter?
I'm running with the windows and doors off now so it's hard to tell for sure. It's not way louder or way hotter. I drove around for about an hour with it being about 100 degrees. I've got the Quadratec front liners but I felt under them just to see how hot it had gotten without the goop in there. I would say that it was about the same as hot pavement or really hot sand. You wouldn't want to ride without your shoes on that day at least. With shoes I doubt you would notice unless you were going a real long distance with no mats. I heard one guy would use a wet towel when he came off the beach without shoes to make it not as bad.

If your going to line the tub there is some spray on stuff called lizard skin you can use. It comes in 2 flavors, one for sound suppression and the other for heat reduction. The sound reduction is about $120 and the heat reduction stuff is about $130. You can use one or both of them but you have to put them in the right order. I don't think either are really needed but it's an option.

Here is a video review of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN61EzFaRA

Last edited by Rooster76; 07-16-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the heat from the sun or the exhaust ?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKGRND
.... This video is actually me removing the shift knob from my '08. LOL! Funny to see someone else find it and use it. Cheers!

I'm sure people have to be careful about shaking your hand with that kung-fu grip.

There are just some things that need to be seen on video to know how to do them and the removing the shifter knob is one of them. I'd say yours the best one on youTube right now.

With the unlimiteds I'm pretty sure there is a wire bundle that goes across the bottom of the rear door. With kids that would suck. There's a guy Mark9998 that re-routed them up the roll cage. Here is a link right to where he first talks about it LINK->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...3/#post2014388 . It's not that big of and issue with the 2DR so I didn't bother with having to splice some wire in.

Last edited by Rooster76; 08-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Rooster76;3117615]
Originally Posted by JKGRND

I'm sure people have to be careful about shaking your hand with that kung-fu grip.

There are just some things that need to be seen on video to know how to do them and the removing the shifter knob is one of them. I'd say yours the best one on youTube right now.

With the unlimiteds I'm pretty sure there is a wire bundle that goes across the bottom of the rear door. With kids that would suck. There's a guy Mark9998 that re-routed them up the roll cage. Here is a link right to where he first talks about it LINK->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...3/#post2014388 . It's not that big of and issue with the 2DR so I didn't bother with having to splice some wire in.
HAHAHA! Thanks!

Yeah, I read that write up as well, which inspired me to do the same thing when I do venture down that road. My two reservations from doing it right now are: 1) I'm not good with electronics and I don't want to fu*k it up, and 2)it's my daily driver and I need to figure out how to get around while it's out of comission for a couple days for the project. Ugh.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Without Front Mats

Originally Posted by Mcgee149
Is the heat from the sun or the exhaust ?
Sorry I overlooked this post. The heat is from the Jeep and stuff that gets hot under it.

I took out my Floor liners for the first time today to just see what it's like without them. After an hour or less my feet started to get warm. On a road trip I'm sure they would get pretty sweaty. It won't burn you hand touching the floor panels but it feels like you have the heater blowing on low. It's the worst right up by the gas pedal. It stays fairly warm where you rest your left foot. Under the front seats it's not really all that bad. It also was pretty warm where the rear heat goop was above the rear axle.

Another thing that I noticed is that because of some of the horizontal reinforcing ridges my left foot felt like it was slipping a bit. You can see the ridges in this picture they go across the floor. It make it where your foot is resting on these little ridges instead of being flat and having alot of traction. I've got running shoes with a good amount of tread and that doesn't help.

With the mats I have had no problem with the heat. The mats slipped all over the place but I put some drawer liner under them and that got rid of all my issues.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

Turned out awesome. Was looking for a write up similar to this. Crazy detailed as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I made a video of the drain plug locations. It also shows how to remove the rear jack by twisting it closed a bit.

http://youtu.be/lWKl1vKIIRM
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for this write-up! I also have a silver 2012 2dr, so this is going to be very helpful to me.

Quick Reply: Carpet Removal 2012 2DR