Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Center Cluster Mood Lighting

Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Dash Mood/Map Lighting

Well the wife liked this mod so much I will do a little write up. The finished product leaves the JK looking 100% OEM.

1. Looked high and low for lights that would fit the bill. Found them at Wal-Mart of all places. These are them and cost under $15 and I only used 2 out of the 4 pack.

2. Took the center console apart (Many threads on this already). This was really easy and just watch the side they scratch up real easy when doing the mod and shifting the center stack around.

3. Drilled two holes where the lights will shine through. I chose these 2 locations to shine on the 4x4 selector and on the gear shifter.

PS. The lights are already mounted in this shot and as you can see they do not stick out at all.

4. Mounted the lights. I used a plastic washer 1/4 inch thick to use as a light holder/cradle on the inside. Used silicone to hold the light in the washer and to secure the washer to the center console.

5. Wired the light to the window switch stack. The thinner orange with grey strip is the one that turns on the lighting to the upper swithes (green dot) when you select the parking lights. And of course grounded to the black with white strip.

6. Replaced the center console and here is the finished product in the daylight.

7. Finished lit up!!!!

8. I was not 100% loving how blue and bright this mod was. Yes it is dimmable with the stock dash dim knob since I spliced into the window switch lighting but the LED's as super bright. I decided to cut a little piece of yellow electrical tape (Blue&yellow=Green) to put over the holes. Again you can not see the tape unless you get under it. Also the picture does not do it justice it really looks Green and in the pic it still looks a light blueish and the light does not really show up on the HVAC controls as pictured.

Hard to take good pics. These look much better in person I must say. If you like the pics you will LOVE the finished product. Enjoy!!

Last edited by J.Ro; 01-03-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

That looks super sweet! Did they have red? I'm still waiting to dive in on doing this since the first member who wrote this up took his pics off last year(last I heard).
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, they have them in red also. I only saw red and blue sets at Walmart.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Just to but the thread with the new finish. The LED's where just to bright for my taste and needed to match the interior color better. A .01 cent fix and now it looks really nice and like it should have came from the factory, see step #8.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice mod, i've been looking for lights like this to do the same. Looks great
Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea .. and nice install.

Just a lil too much for my taste...
I was thinkin' about those lights tucked up under the dash; to glow on the floor for a lil more subtle look.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green
Good idea .. and nice install.

Just a lil too much for my taste...
I was thinkin' about those lights tucked up under the dash; to glow on the floor for a lil more subtle look.

Yes #7 mod was a little even alot to much.
But #8 is really nice, looks really stock. I got the idea from other posts combined with my wifes old audi that used these lights/set up. You can't really notice the lights when drining on a lit road just a liitle, but on dark roads it lights up just enough to allow you to see the shifter and cup holder area.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Job....but what about the wiring? How did you hook it up?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Great mod! Thanks ...Now I have another project! My wife really tolerates that fact that I am a Modaholic.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

" My wife really tolerates that fact that I am a Modaholic"

I am supposed to be looking for a support group for that same affliction

Quick Reply: Center Cluster Mood Lighting