Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Center stack and door handle illumination

Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryAlex1
I found a cool little 7 color led and controller (4 led's) at a local auto parts store for less than $10. I figured this might work well for lighting the center stack so i gave it a try. It looks real good and I have a choice of colors as well as 2 modes of cycling thru the color range. The red seems to be the best for night driving so I think I'll stick with that.
I put 2 of the led's over the hvac controls and 2 over the power ports and the rest of the console is nicely lighted with just these 4 led's.

Each led has an 18" lead that plugs into a 4 plug receptacle. The receptacle block has a 36" lead to the controller. The controller has a 48" cord to the cigar lighter plug.

I just cut off the cigar plug and used snap connectors to wire it to the cigar lighter harness (that one is switched - powers off with ignition).
If you want to see the unit I used, just google "ee7cc" 7color evil eyes.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

OK, went out and snapped a few pics of the finished setup.

The controller is held in place with double sided tape (included) and the wires are just tucked behind the lower steering wheel cover with enough spare wire to allow removal of the cover if needed.

The controller hides behind the steering wheel so I don't see the red led in it at all.

Here are 3 pics of the placement and different colors:

Last edited by wayoflifette; 02-06-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

The controller is held in place with double sided tape (included) and the wires are just tucked behind the lower steering wheel cover with enough spare wire to allow removal of the cover if needed.

The controller hides behind the steering wheel so I don't see the red led in it at all.

Nicely done!! Great job on the install.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you secure the l.e.d. in the hole?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had a Viper alarm installed. I am not sure if it would be too much, but i am curious what it would take to wire in all these LED's to my Alarm Flashing Light. maybe some sort of a sequence thing......like chasing Chrismas lights only spaced out through out my Jeep.

Might be fun to try.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MichaelW
Hey John I'm about ready for some details on this. Could you PM me the info. Last night I had two ladies trapped in my Jeep cause they couldn't find the door handles.

Umm, maybe I shouldn't do this.

Naw I want to do this. So please send the details along with where you tapped the interior lights would be awesome.
Nice goin' with the ladies, dude!!
Just sent a pm to you.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

The led's are each installed into a small plastic box 1/2 in long by 3/8 wide by 1/8 in thick and the led's protrude about 3/4 on an inch.
They can be bent (gently) 90 degrees up or down when the box is flat. I bent them at about 90 degrees. then a little double sided carpet tape on the box holds them in place.
Make sure the drill bit used is as close as possible to the same size as the led's for a snug fit.

---------------------[[[[[[[[[[]------\
harness____________box_____| |__<-- LED

Hopefully my little diagram helps. Ignore the underscores on the bottom line, the words won't stay in position without them
Old 03-20-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John L
I originally bought red, green, and aqua leds to see which one would work best.

Green looked OK, not quite right though. When brought up to a decent level of brightness, it killed the night vision and was very distracting.

Aqua almost matched the radio and speedo VFD, but was also distracting. But it did look better than the green.

I settled on the red, you can really run them bright and it does not attract your eyes like the green and aqua. You can also look down at the stack for a moment and look right back at the roas without loss of night vision.

Never tried blue, I suppose it would fair as well as the green and aqua.
Were can I find aqua LEDs? Radio Shack doesn't have 'em. They have everything else...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elibodman
Were can I find aqua LEDs? Radio Shack doesn't have 'em. They have everything else...
Just sent you a PM.....
Old 03-24-2007, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Added more pictures

----------

Last edited by John L; 10-23-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Center stack and door handle illumination