Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Clockspring Replacement

Old 07-30-2020, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Unless you've replaced the clockspring before, there is a recall for the 2007-2010 Jeep Wrangler for the clock spring.
it was replaced under recall in 2016 (before I got it)............ already failed again..........
Old 07-30-2020, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Zero issues at all. It's definitely a job to just DIY and save the money.
thanks, if i can't get them to do it under warranty I'll go this route. thanks!
Old 07-30-2020, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

It all depends on what your time is worth. I'd argue you've already wasted more time jacking around with the dealers that for $130-$140 and an hour of your time you could have been on with your life over a week ago. I personally just don't waste my time with the dealers even if it can save me $100. It's just not worth the time and hassle to deal with those service departments IMO.

The following users liked this post:
Shawng (12-29-2021)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Zero issues at all. It's definitely a job to just DIY and save the money.
just ordered it, thanks! will update once I've installed it. Thanks all!
Old 08-26-2020, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Clock spring installed, but the problem ended up not being with the clock spring. The horn on my jeep was bad, replaced it and that worked. Found some chewed up wires under my seat. That was the cause of my intermittent air bag light..... took care of them and the issue hasn't returned. Thanks all...........
Old 12-29-2021, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it need recalibrate or centered

It all depends on what your time is worth. I'd argue you've already wasted more time jacking around with the dealers that for $130-$140 and an hour of your time you could have been on with your life over a week ago. I personally just don't waste my time with the dealers even if it can save me $100. It's just not worth the time and hassle to deal with those service departments IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU0I0UfXUs
I have a 2015. No warranty R title.. but I kept seeing that after installed you need to Recalibrate. If so HOW? And I've seen very many for sale with a huge amount with different last 2 letters of part number. Can it be different than the one you said.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawng
I have a 2015. No warranty R title.. but I kept seeing that after installed you need to Recalibrate. If so HOW? And I've seen very many for sale with a huge amount with different last 2 letters of part number. Can it be different than the one you said.
There is a steering wheel dance you can do to calibrate, but you shouldn't need to. The new unit should come with that steering angle sensor locked in place by a little plastic piece you remove just prior to putting the steering wheel on. As far as the part numbers, any time a part has been updated the letters at the end will advance for the newest part. I believe they also get updated due to a change of supplier. Installing an older part that is a direct fit does not necessarily mean the part was defective, though it's likely older stock being pieced out.
The following users liked this post:
Shawng (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

There is a steering wheel dance you can do to calibrate, but you shouldn't need to. The new unit should come with that steering angle sensor locked in place by a little plastic piece you remove just prior to putting the steering wheel on. As far as the part numbers, any time a part has been updated the letters at the end will advance for the newest part. I believe they also get updated due to a change of supplier. Installing an older part that is a direct fit does not necessarily mean the part was defective, though it's likely older stock being pieced out.
thank you. I didn't want to break it by not calibrating it
Old 12-29-2021, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you I didn't want to break it by not calibrating it. Do you know a way I can add 2 or 3 inches to stock painted sahara fenders to pass inspection. I failed for mine sticking out.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Shawng -

Truthfully (and all joking aside) - find a buddy with a jeep and swap out his tires for a couple of hours - easiest way to pass that test.

This route may cost you lunch at the local pub - but is is certainly the cheapest way to circumnavigate installing stupid looking fender extensions.

My two cents ..

Neville

Quick Reply: Clockspring Replacement