Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Coolaroo Sun Shade

Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolaroo Sun Shade under $30

Coolaroo specializes in UV-blocking shade cloths and sails, mainly for outdoor purposes. They also make this excellent airy bed for pets. I thought the replacement bed cover can be used as a sun shade over the driver/front passenger with the freedom panels removed.

You can purchase the Coolaroo replacement cover in large (~$13) via Walmart or Home Depot (both free ship-to-store), or Amazon. Currently, this cover is only available in green and terra cotta (deep orange). I personally think the terra cotta will go well with the Mango Tango. The green is growing on me, it feels kinda earthy when the sun shines through...

The beauty of this cover is that the edges are already finished so there is no trimming and sewing. You have an option of building a frame for support. My first version had a PVC pipe running across the header for wind reduction and threading for the bungee cord. The pipe became an eye sore so I've been just using a 25ft bungee all around. The pictures show that I used some bungee balls and clips but those are really optional.

My system isn't quite perfect yet. I am hoping you guys can come up with something better. The biggest problem is keeping the back of the cover tucked without giving tension on the cover. Keep in mind that I am doing some crazy looping with the rear hardtop on. I have a flat aluminum piece tucked across the sound bar to keep the back edge from flapping around. The ends of the aluminum piece are being pulled towards the rear with some bungee balls.

Alternatives: If you are a little crafty, Amazon sells this shade in a roll in black. This roll can cover the cargo area or the entire top of JKU. Coolaroo claims you can cut this fabric without fray. Also, if you don't plan to wrap the edges (single ply), you can consider using the butterfly clips.

Last edited by jeep-girl; 06-26-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Pleas do not include links to nonsponsor sellers
Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

how big is the large? They have a 6' x 15' on their website in black. What size is the one you have? Looks much smaller than 6 x 15. I don't see one that small on their website.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok ,,, i work for a fence company and this just gave me an instant idea using a product that is generally seen on a tennis court . Its usually called windscreen. We get it by the roll. Heck i could order some rolls in various colors and fabrics and make some of these up and sell them.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice idea - might need to get one of these and put some grommets around the edge to make attaching it easier.

What are the dimensions on the large?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cwargo
Nice idea - might need to get one of these and put some grommets around the edge to make attaching it easier.

What are the dimensions on the large?
Attaching it wasn't difficult for the front and along the sides. The back was a little too long. This won't be a problem if you install it with the rear hardtop off.

The large is 31x41in. The shade is at the moment so I can't give you the precise measurements. The cuffed edges are about 2in.

Quick Reply: Coolaroo Sun Shade