Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Custom Trunk Box

Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Trunk Box

I had looked at the trunk armor and other trunk solutions for the 4-door JK, but none of them seemed to meet my needs. So I build up the perfect trunk box for my use of the Jeep.

I wanted a box that would:
- Lock to the Jeep floor in a few locations
- Sit more-or-less flush against the tailgate
- Work with a Trektop
- Be easy to pull in and out of the Jeep
- Still manage to carry longer loads when necessary
- Provide a spot to stash the hardtop front sections when pulled off
- Most importantly, provide a secure place to haul my bicycles inside the cabin

I built the box out of 1/2 inch MDF, gorrilla glued with support sections at each 90 degree angle, then srewed to the support blocks from both directions, finally a layer of adhesive caulk is used on each seam too improve the look of the box when I paint it in the spring. The center-passenger section slides to the driver's side to create an 18 inch opening from the tailgate forward.

The box is secured to the jeep in three places. First, the top and bottom near the tailgate fit around the "latch-lump" of the tailgate. I neet to shave this back a bit because it is a bit closer than I would like. Second, a section of metal extends the front floor anchors through the MDF where a pair of matched padlocks are used to secure a safety cable for my bikes. Lastly, two metal tabs are on the bottom of the trunk box floor which slide into the slots for the original trunk floor from the factory.

When the trunk door is closed, my bikes fit snuggly behind the closed door and the handlebars are inside the line of the Trektop. The space between the box and wheel wells is wide enough to slip a hardtop front section on each side. My wife is making some vinyl-felt "sleeves" for this area to keep the tops nice.

the closed door section is secured by a block at the back of the box along the slide channel. The handles not only make it easier to remove the box, but are also used to secure bags from rattling around inside the box.

Next step is to paint the box black and then apply a layer of black bed-liner over the sections which do not slide against each other.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very interesting. I was working on several designs for something similar, but ended up using a Rubbermade Action Packer secured w/ bungies. I still think I might do something like this someday though...

Post pics when painted.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

That's pretty slick.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 PM
JK Newbie

paint it red