Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system

Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hansen65
I started with just one thing attached to that power outlet and was nervous with how thin the wire was. So as soon as I did my next mod I added the relay and now I have no concerns.
I need to do that. I actually cut that "thin wire" when I was just trying to strip it back a little to connect the switch for my ARB air compressor.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Hey yomondo! Was there any room under or behind the center console insert? The back of all my switches (spot lights, rock lights and compressor) are where you mounted the sensor so I need to find a different location. Also I have a 4 door so I have to watch the rear window switches as well.

Do you think that the amount of stuff or type of stuff you have in the center console will affect the range and accuracy of the sensor?

Post 27 was having sensitivity problems, I wonder if they have a lot of metal (i.e. Mag light, coins, etc..) in the console if this could throw off the sensor. Or if you adjust the sensitivity then stuff either shifts around in the console while you or else if you take out / add stuff to your console if that would change your calibration enough to give the problems he is having.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet! I'm glad it worked for you! The awesome thing about Jeeps is customization and making something work for you. So I applaud your innovation and improvisation. And it's cool to see how others seem to be taking this and that and making something that works for them.

Originally Posted by yomondo
txjeeplover, thanks again for helping this write-up!

I installed my relay today (I'll update the initial post shortly). One thing I did differently, is that I put the relay inline with the (+) power source to the sensor, instead of inline with the trigger wire as you did. But either way will net the same resulting behavior.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM
JK Freak

Was there any room under or behind the center console insert? The back of all my switches (spot lights, rock lights and compressor) are where you mounted the sensor so I need to find a different location. Also I have a 4 door so I have to watch the rear window switches as well.
It didn't seem like there was much room underneath the center console insert. On mine, there's room behind it, but you have window controls there and I don't know how much room they leave available. Behind the center concole insert would probably be a better central location for a 4-door also, unless you're more concerned about stuff in the front, like your glove box or stereo/nav system.

Do you think that the amount of stuff or type of stuff you have in the center console will affect the range and accuracy of the sensor?

Post 27 was having sensitivity problems, I wonder if they have a lot of metal (i.e. Mag light, coins, etc..) in the console if this could throw off the sensor. Or if you adjust the sensitivity then stuff either shifts around in the console while you or else if you take out / add stuff to your console if that would change your calibration enough to give the problems he is having.
Well the sensor uses radar, so anything that blocks or disrupts EM waves could affect it, metal in particular. You have other electronics in the immediate vicinity which would generate EM fields when running current, but that won't be happening when your Jeep is parked and alarm activated.

You have to play with the sensitivity and find a happy medium. It takes a bit of trial and error. You'll only get about 2-2.5 feet of radius. More than that, and you'll get false alarms from people walking by in a parking lot. And because of the rectangular shape of your 4-door, you won't get full front-to-back coverage (unless you install a second sensor!).
Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

You have to play with the sensitivity and find a happy medium. It takes a bit of trial and error. You'll only get about 2-2.5 feet of radius. More than that, and you'll get false alarms from people walking by in a parking lot. And because of the rectangular shape of your 4-door, you won't get full front-to-back coverage (unless you install a second sensor!).
Are you happy with the "happy medium" you found with yours?

My goal is just to help keep my MyGig from ever leaving the dash, with the fewest number of false alarms.

I had originally planned on using a shock sensor, but I'm intrigued by the motion sensor. Just worried that dialing it down so that it won't go off when people walk by in a crowded parking lot would cause it not to sense someone yanking around on the dash.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aristobrat
Are you happy with the "happy medium" you found with yours?

My goal is just to help keep my MyGig from ever leaving the dash, with the fewest number of false alarms.

I had originally planned on using a shock sensor, but I'm intrigued by the motion sensor. Just worried that dialing it down so that it won't go off when people walk by in a crowded parking lot would cause it not to sense someone yanking around on the dash.
I went through two rounds of sensitivity adjusting on two separate weekends, but yah I'm pretty happy with the setting right now. If your main concern is for your myGig (which is one of my main concerns), then where I placed my sensor would be a good place for you. I have my sensitivity set so that you can walk right along side of my Jeep, even touching it (like someone might do if they parked right next to me in a tight parking spot) without setting it off, but if I lean in with 1/2 of my body trunk inside or if I reach for the myGig with only my arm, the alarm will be triggered. It'll definitely sense someone trying to get away with the myGig well before they get much into the job.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, definitely sounds like what i'm looking for. Just ordered the DEI via Amazon. Thanks for the awesome write-up!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aristobrat
OK, definitely sounds like what i'm looking for. Just ordered the DEI via Amazon. Thanks for the awesome write-up!!!
Right on! You're welcome! Just trying to give back a little to a great forum that I've taken away many times more from.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Excellent write up
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by speedypaper
Excellent write up
Thanks!

Quick Reply: DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system