Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Differential Fluid Change...gear oil amount????

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Fluid Change...gear oil amount????

First of all, I have an X model with the D30 in front and D44 in the rear, both with the stock diff covers.

I followed WOL's write-up to the T for performing the diff fluid change...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

My question is regarding the amount of new diff fluid that should have gone in each diff. The write up says to fill each diff up until the fluid starts to ooze out of the fill hole (1.35 quarts front & 2.375 quarts rear).

Well, as stated in the write up, I let each diff completely drain and then replaced the drain plug and squeezed the new and expensive Royal Purple diff fluid in. My potential problem is that the oil started to "ooze" out after only 1 quart in the front and approximately 1.75 quarts in the rear.

Is this okay? Should I drive for a few miles and then try topping each diff off again? Or, should I just say..."it is what it is" and be fine with it?

I just want to be sure that I've got plenty of or the right amount of diff fluid in there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

I just changed mine out to and that's about what I put in also. So I say it's ok but that's just me
Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

D30 front and d44 rear???? If so yes its normal. If you read the comments below the writeup they go into discussion of this same issue. So d30 and d44 rear you are good to go!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
D30 front and d44 rear???? If so yes its normal. If you read the comments below the writeup they go into discussion of this same issue. So d30 and d44 rear you are good to go!
Just read all the comments below the write-up...I feel like an idiot now for starting this thread. Oh well...I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Quick Reply: Differential Fluid Change...gear oil amount????