Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY: Mag-Lite License Plate Bracket

Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Mag-Lite License Plate Bracket

Republished from xplorx4.com
Roller Fairlead License Plate Bracket

Since installing the TJM bumper in late 1999, I had never found a decent location to mount the front license plate.
This was even more difficult with the addition of the winch.

However, three years later, I discovered a cheap solution, adapted from a tip found on 4x4wire.com

The total cost in parts for the bracket is less than $7.50. Here's what I used:

The most expensive part of the bracket is, of course, the Mag-Lite clamps. But they are the key component!
A primary benefit of this bracket's design is that it is not necessary to drill holes in the license plate.
Another convenient coincidence is that the metal framing joists holes match up precisely with the standard license plate holes!
It's probably not necessary to use two metal joist plates, but I used two to give the bracket extra strength.

The first thing to do is to widen the outside 4 holes on the joist plates to 5/16". This is where the Mag-Lite brackets will be secured.
Next, bolt up the Mag-Lite brackets to either side with the machine screws and washers.

Next, thread on a pair of screws (using washers on both sides) to the license plate.
The extra nut behind the license plate provides clearance for the Mag-Lite bracket screws.

Attach the license plate to the bracket, tighten all the nuts, and that's it!

Here's what the license plate and bracket looks like attached to the roller fairlead:

Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Ah! Clever!

How sturdy are the Mag-Lite brackets? Not flimsy at all when attached to the rollers?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

What a great idea! I've been wondering what to do with the plate when my new bumper gets here. Think I'll have to try this.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, I haven't made mine yet. I just found this on a different site and thought I would post for everyone here. But I 'think' they wouldn't be too flimsy. I'm sure they wouldn't take much rock abuse. They are plastic (Heavy duty ABS plastic) but this is designed to be removable...

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-26-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I think i'd attach some kind of saftey line or carabiner somewhere hidden behind the plate. but still easy enough to remove. Just incase it gets ripped off at high speads.

I know there isn't much one can do, but it is very easy for someone to steal it.

however this is the best solution i have seen, and may have to try it myself when i get my new bumper.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks a ton! doing it soon!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
I think i'd attach some kind of saftey line or carabiner somewhere hidden behind the plate. but still easy enough to remove. Just incase it gets ripped off at high speads.

I know there isn't much one can do, but it is very easy for someone to steal it.

however this is the best solution i have seen, and may have to try it myself when i get my new bumper.
Exactly! This is what I did with my TJ, sporting an 8274. Mag clips, and a cable tether. Tether made sure that if the plate popped off, I wouldn't lose it. It was also convienent when utilizing the winch, and not setting it aside to forget it. Slim cable will do, with ferrules or nut clamps. Never had a problem with the clips up till i sold the TJ.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
Thanks!!! Excellent Suggestion!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiRedJK
Actually, I haven't made mine yet. I just found this on a different site and thought I would post for everyone here. But I 'think' they wouldn't be too flimsy. I'm sure they wouldn't take much rock abuse. They are plastic (Heavy duty ABS plastic) but this is designed to be removable...
Gotcha. I'm thinking that this is the type of thing, since it's so easy, just pull it off while off roading.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

here's one that's harder to steal.
[IMG][/IMG]

I had to blurr the company name on it but if you search winch licence plate you'll find it.

Quick Reply: DIY: Mag-Lite License Plate Bracket