Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Does your soft top leak at the car wash? I think I know how to fix it(maybe)!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your soft top leak at the car wash? I think I know how to fix it(maybe)!

This may not work for all, but it works for me so..... The last few times I washed my jeep I left it running with the a/c turned all the way up and I haven't had any leaks at all. I came to this conclusion that whith the a/c on full blast it creats a postive air pressure system inside of the jeep. Which actually dis-allows any water to leak inside due to the air flowing out.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is true about the AC. I have noticed that when it rains and I have the AC blowing, the leaks stop. However, when the vehicle is off and obviously no AC on, the leak returns. Good solution while in the vehicle though.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

i'll get some water in at the carwash but not in the rain... the top is designed to keep rain water out as it is mostly falling down. the carwashes i go to spray water in every friggen direction imaginable. but i decided to stop going to them anyway for a few reasons. Only the touchless ones wont scratch the windows. and when you go through the air dryer part there is so much air pressure it stretches the top into the jeep. of course its always tight when the dryer shuts off... but i just can't help but think its gonna make the top start to to sag sooner. So now i either hand wash it in the drive, or go to the do it yourself wash place. and in the winter when its too cold to wash the car myself, i've got the hardtop on and run it through any wash that will let me in.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool Just what it says

Just a heads up, the owners manual actually tells you not to run your Jeep (with soft top) through an automatic car wash.

I've been doing mine by hand in the driveway, or take it to one of those magic wand-type washes. Don't really know what I'll do in winter - Freeze I guess.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

Oops! I should have specified what car wash I go to. Due to the tall ass cb antenna on the back I have to go to the "Do it yourself" car wash. Sorry. I haven't been to a drive through for quite some while.

Quick Reply: Does your soft top leak at the car wash? I think I know how to fix it(maybe)!