Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Dont want to drill your bumper and your state requires two plates? $5 fixes it

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont want to drill your bumper and your state requires two plates? $5 fixes it

So I was pulled over today for not having a front plate and it's only been a week! No ticket thankfully, but I did need to find a quick fix because I need to get an inspection sticker this month... Keep in mind I have no idea how to make mounts so this writeup is more resourceful than useful.

Anyway here's my fix:
Get beefy rubber self adhesive feet + vinyly coated steel cord:

Stick these feet directly inside the screwholes in the plate. This will prevent the plate from rubbing against the bumper. It'll also provide some traction for the plate against the bumper.

Thread holes of the license plate with the steel cord like so:

Make sure the rubber feet are tight enough to actually meet the bumper, otherwise they are pretty much useless:

Thread lower cord through holes already in chassis cross member. Pull the two opposing ends upward and clamp them together. Make sure they are tight:

Thats it, you are done:

I plan on this being a temporary fix so I dont get pulled over again. Next up, Flat steel fenders, and a rear bumper!

Happy Jeeping

Last edited by gerrynjr; 07-30-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dear Sys Admin

Some automotive double sided tape would have been faster, cheaper and won't leave rub marks like that wire will.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Holyroller
Some automotive double sided tape would have been faster, cheaper and won't leave rub marks like that wire will.
yeah but for a system admin i think it was smart to add the wire so if the plate comes loose at least you don't lose it.

5 star would recommend
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sweet

Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by toad
zip ties?
Zip ties were not strong enough... and the ones that were wouldnt fit in the holes on the number plate.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

good idea. that looks alot better than just drilling holes and screwing in the plate and leaving a clean look.

Quick Reply: Dont want to drill your bumper and your state requires two plates? $5 fixes it