Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Door Leaks

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Leaks - Possible Fix

Ok, I am sick and tired of this water leaking over my door, so I decided to try and fix it myself since the dealer just gave me the cold shoulder again.

Here are a few pics of what I think may be the problem after doing a few water tests.

In this pic, you see the removable plastic door seal pressing against the rubber seal of the windshield.

Now with it removed, you can see where water was leaking through.

Now, here is something that I tried that did fix the leak... but would be ugly as hell if I take the doors off. All i used was some 3/4 inch rubber foam tape. The pressure that it put on that rubber gasket was enough to keep the leaks out.

I bought some 3M Silicone sealant from an automotive paint store and am using it because it stays somewhat "tacky" but won’t stick together and I think it will make a good gasket with the pressure of the closed door on it.

First, I put some in that rubber gasket... I put it on a little thick because I figured it would thin out a little as it dried... and I want to layer it up so there is more of a snug fit when the door shuts.

Then, I coated the tip of the plastic door piece also to make sure it makes good contact.

Here is the passenger side.

Both door parts

It takes 24 hours to fully cure, so I will test this tomorrow when I get home and let you all know if it worked.

Last edited by Sieran; 02-26-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

-- update--

Even though it is not totally cured, I put the parts back together.

I must have dumped over a gallon of water on that part of the door and could not get it to leak again. Before I put this silicone on, it would drip within a few seconds and I would have nearly a steady stream of water on the inside.

I'm not sure of the permanence of this fix, as I kind of rushed the application of the silicone. I am sure if I prepped this better and put a more consistent coat on it would look a little better, but with all the parts on and the top down, you can't even tell it was done even with the doors open/off.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'm taking mine to the dealer next week to have it fixed. The guy I know there knew exactly what I was talking about and was very confident its gonna fixed. So heres hoping, but congrats on fixing it yourself
Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck... that's what my guy said. Then one visit turned into two... then three.. then four.

Each time they either damaged or broke something in the process too.

But mine is just a crappy dealer. I hear all kinds of people gettig it fixed, just the dealers i find i seem to have no luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

the dealership has an update gasket seal. i will look on my invoice and post numbers later
Old 03-02-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got one of the updated gasket seals. Helped some, but not much. For the OP, I tried the weatherstripping foam in EXACTLY the same location - even if it was ugly I thought it would work. Nope. Leaked WORSE when weatherstripping was in place. :(
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, we are getting some good heavy rain today in Texas and my inside is bone dry.

I'm not sure what to tell you about it making the leak worse with using the foam tape.

I would hate to tell you to spend another 10 bucks on some silicone if it won’t fix your problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

!!!!! This is the exact area im having problems with mine pouring water in. The stupid dealer brushed me off the last time and i havent had the desire nor the time to try taking it back again. I really dont like the looks of either of these solutions but my carpet is begining to get a funky odor from all the water laying in there.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Ok here is my question, and this is something i plan on trying since they dont seem to care whether it gets done or not. Plus id rather do it myself than risk them yahoos breaking something else.

If you look at that above image where my green arrow points. You will see a little flap of a rubber gasket. What i think is happening at least on mine is, the water is seeping down through the front seam between the soft top and header seal, and dripping right behind that seal. The foam you added here may have put enough pressure on that little flap to keep the wet stuff from making it inside. I am pondering just sticking some gorilla snot back there and seeing if that fixes it.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James76
!!!!! This is the exact area im having problems with mine pouring water in. The stupid dealer brushed me off the last time and i havent had the desire nor the time to try taking it back again. I really dont like the looks of either of these solutions but my carpet is begining to get a funky odor from all the water laying in there.
I agree about the foam tape being ugly and not liking the look of it, but the 3M silicone that looks so horrible in the pictures, believe it or not is rather clear.

Sure, you can tell it is there if you take the doors off and that corner piece off, then look in the rubber gasket, but it is by no means white like in those pics.

That gorilla snot will probably work well. Just put a line if it up there on that flap with the arrow, then down and around the bottom between the rubber and plastic all the way around (to create a gasket type seal) and I would bet that it stops leaking.

Quick Reply: Door Leaks