Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Drake Hood Latches

Old 06-14-2017, 12:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drake Hood Latches

I was pretty tired of how scary my "Hood Flutter" was, so I purchased a set of Drake Hood hold down latches. The removal of the old hood latches and the installation of the Drake hood latches is very straight forward and really quite easy. the portion that is attached to the hood is very simple to remove, and the new ones are very simple to install. the lower portion, that is attached just above the fenders are a little trickier to remove and install the new components, but with a deep-well 13mm and a slim ratchet, it wasn't too bad. The kit came with all new hardware to install the new hood latches, but you can also use the old hardware if you choose. It was very easy to install, and only took about 20 minutes, start to finish. It makes me feel a whole lot better, not watching my hood jump and lurch every time a semi goes by, or the wind is blowing a little bit!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

I fixed my hood flutter in about 2 minutes with a couple black zip ties. under 5 bucks. rock on
Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hail2Ale
I fixed my hood flutter in about 2 minutes with a couple black zip ties. under 5 bucks. rock on
Lovely!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I have the drakes as well and really like them; however I get how some are happy to use the zip tie method. I like the convenience of pulling to pins and opening my hood.....and I like the way the Drakes look in general compared to some of the others.

I removed that spring under the hood too.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

I've had my Drakes for about 2 years and I have the locking ones. I have to keep them lubed otherwise the bearings and mechanism gets stuck. The black has also faded to damn near gold in the Phoenix, AZ sun though.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look great but if you are on a budget and really want to get rid of the flutter,all you need to do is remove the spring under the hood. Problem solved
Old 08-23-2017, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have the drakes as well and really like them; however I get how some are happy to use the zip tie method. I like the convenience of pulling to pins and opening my hood.....and I like the way the Drakes look in general compared to some of the others.

I removed that spring under the hood too.
Hey resharp001...is this similar to what you have?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drake locking hood latch.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	674353
I've been looking at these but was wondering how big of a pain it is to have to unlock/lock both pins. Probably not a big deal since it isn't like you get under the hood every time you get in the vehicle. Seems like you are pretty pleased with them...correct?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody208
Hey resharp001...is this similar to what you have?
Attachment 674353
I've been looking at these but was wondering how big of a pain it is to have to unlock/lock both pins. Probably not a big deal since it isn't like you get under the hood every time you get in the vehicle. Seems like you are pretty pleased with them...correct?
That is the locking model. I just have the normal non-locking ones. I'm happy with mine in both form and function. I think it would be a pain to unlock those all the time and I open my hood a lot. That said, my jeep is garaged and I'm not worried about theft of anything in my engine bay.

Quick Reply: Drake Hood Latches