Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Enhanced 2 Door Rubi Rails

Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enhanced 2 Door Rubi Rails

Began a project last week, adding steps to my Rubi rock rails...I just can't bring myself to shell out $500+ for new rock rails with steps while these rails are collecting dust in my work shed...I'm posting this even though the project is far from finished, as usually we see the finished project when someone does a homemade mod, and not usually the detailed steps...anyway, sorry for the large photos, I don't know how to make them any smaller:

Project is now on hold due to waiting for someone who can weld this all up and make it look presentable...then painting or powdercoating or bedliner...something to look good and that will last...anyone with ideas for finish?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that this type of MOD will become more popular since the price of most sliders are too expensive and many are very heavy. I think it is a great idea.

BTW don't worry about the large photos, much better than the small ones that don't show detail.

Mike
Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Now thats a good idea. I wish I lived closer to my dad, he could weld some up for me in no time. Keep us posted when you get those finished.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great idea. I think it will look good too!

I guess the only concern might be the additional leverage on the original mounts.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Coldfire

I guess the only concern might be the additional leverage on the original mounts.
That was a concern of mine until I saw all the posts from those who had already done this with no ill effects, then add to that Mopar is selling their own version of this exact setup (with round tubing added), so I don't think it will be a problem.

The real person to admire is the first person who tried this without the advantage of someone else's experience. That is someone who took a chance and it worked out...

Sorta like the first person to drink cow's milk...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldfire

There's no issues at all. I did the write up Enhanced Rubi Rails using round tubing. They work great. A link to my write up is in my signature below

GREAT JOB by the way. They look really good
Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Another factor in my trying this was when I went to a metal fabrication company here in town, looking to get round tubing, I got to talking to the guy who ran the shop. After getting his ideas, which turned out to be the tubing I have, I asked what he would charge to do this project from start to finish, not including paint - gulp, $300.00...when I went to buy the tubing, which cost $22.55, I decided to save mucho dinero and try it myself. Seeing as how the shop guy said the biggest part was the cutting and shaping, I think I am waaay ahead. I will reimburse the welder for what he will put into this, if he'll let me, then will be the cost of the finish, which I would have either way.

It seemed worth the effort.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VBS4
There's no issues at all. I did the write up Enhanced Rubi Rails using round tubing. They work great. A link to my write up is in my signature below

GREAT JOB by the way. They look really good
Hey, thanks! I have to say that your writeup was the inspiration for me doing this project. I have photos of your and Ryan JK's enhanced Rubi rails sitting at my work bench. Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

i Like your idea, I think this will be a great mod
Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

what size tubing are you using?

Quick Reply: Enhanced 2 Door Rubi Rails