Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Evap system leak and repair.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap system leak and repair.

I've had I small leak code that would pop up every couple of months or so. Then I ran a pretty hard trail and must have slammed down on a rock. Because the gas cap code came up after that.
While crawling around underneath trying to see anything I grabbed something and it snapped.

By the looks of it, it has been cracked for a while.

Of course the white cap that the evap system lines connect to can't be replaced. And the last thing I wanted to do was buy a >$700 gas tank.

After thinking of a fix, I came up with an inner sleeve. Unable to find anything that suited my needs at a couple of hardware stores; small thin walled tubing. I remembered that hobby shops(rc and model) have various shapes and sizes of brass and aluminum. Picked up a 2' of 3/16" × .014 aluminum tubing for $5.

Back to the hardware to get a 3/16" drill bit and some apoxy.

I cut a 1/2 inch off off the tubing and drilled a 1/4 inch into both ends of the break. Be careful that the bit doesn't pull itself in to deep.

Deburred the cut end.

It's a bit of a snug fit. But shove the sleeve into the hose side first. Then into the tank side.

I used gorilla glues clear epoxy after scruffing the connection a bit with some scotch brute.

I couldn't have been happier with the results. I think I spent less than $15. But even if you have to buy everything including a small cheap cordless drill. It's still cheaper than buying a new tank.

Quick Reply: Evap system leak and repair.