Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Factory bumper removal

Old 04-09-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this last night. When it came to the plastic clips... I just drilled the suckers out... the plastic air-dam went right into the dumpster.

Has anybody hit anything with the stock bumper? Once I got that thing off and saw it weighs about ~30lbs and is mostly plastic, I got to wondering what would happen if I clipped something on the non-metal part.

Is there any market for a used, stock, Sahara front bumper?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pain in the ***

Just removed my bumper. Took about an hour due to the fact that i had a hell of a time getting all 8 nuts off easily. I found it very difficult to get at the ones behind the sway bar disco. I had to remove that plastic frame cover thingy and get at the nuts from the top. Should have tried this first because it is easier that way..
Tomorrow my spyder poisen customs bumper gets a fresh coat of duplicolor and gets mounted to my Jeep..thanks Jeremy for the great bumper.I'll post pics when it is finished.

Last edited by jeeperjkjeeper; 04-14-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

this was done on my first JK, even on my second JK, I couldnt get the dame screws to back out,

I just drilled the centers out with a 1/4" drill bit, It worked great
Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write up!!!!!! Thanks

Red
Old 08-22-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up. Took the bumper off this afternoon. Tomorrow I put on the ARB!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jhagerman
Has anybody hit anything with the stock bumper? Once I got that thing off and saw it weighs about ~30lbs and is mostly plastic, I got to wondering what would happen if I clipped something on the non-metal part.
I smacked my stock front bumper straight into the ground, when I dropped off of a steep decline while off road. The plastic cover got all scraped up and gashed open in front of the crush cans. Can't wait to get a REAL bumper on there.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
Just removed my bumper. Took about an hour due to the fact that i had a hell of a time getting all 8 nuts off easily. I found it very difficult to get at the ones behind the sway bar disco. I had to remove that plastic frame cover thingy and get at the nuts from the top. Should have tried this first because it is easier that way..
Tomorrow my spyder poisen customs bumper gets a fresh coat of duplicolor and gets mounted to my Jeep..thanks Jeremy for the great bumper.I'll post pics when it is finished.
Ahh there's a thought. Yeah I just spent a half hour trying to figure out how to get at those bolts behind the sway bar disco... I'll take your advise about the top cover - should be so much easier.

Of course it would help if just ONE of my 297 sockets were actually an 18MM. Sheese I have 7 x 17MM and 8 x 19MM but can't find a single 18! Time to bug the neighbors.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davegus
Ahh there's a thought. Yeah I just spent a half hour trying to figure out how to get at those bolts behind the sway bar disco... I'll take your advise about the top cover - should be so much easier.

Of course it would help if just ONE of my 297 sockets were actually an 18MM. Sheese I have 7 x 17MM and 8 x 19MM but can't find a single 18! Time to bug the neighbors.
I hate it when that happens, I bought 3 extra 18mm's and have a hard time finding 1 of them. They seem to skip that one in allotta sets.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I hate it when that happens, I bought 3 extra 18mm's and have a hard time finding 1 of them. They seem to skip that one in allotta sets.
Note to those about to do this - make sure it's a DEEP SOCKET 18MM! Standard depth sockets won't get over the excess bolt enough to grab the nut.

Quick Reply: Factory bumper removal