Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fender removal/Changing-marker lights

Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender removal/Changing-marker lights

Before I screw things up how do I remove the stupid fkng plastic rivets without destroying them?

From the FSM

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the ends of the jumper wire harness (3) from the front side marker/repeater lamp bulb socket and from the engine wire harness.
4. Remove and disassemble the front fender flare (6), reinforcement bracket (5) and wheel liner (2) from the vehicle. Take the proper precautions to protect the fender flare from cosmetic damage during disassembly. (Refer to 23 - BODY/EXTERIOR/WHEEL OPENING FLARE MOLDING - FRONT - REMOVAL).
5. Release the two integral latch features on the back of the lamp housing (4) and unhook the integral hook feature on the lamp housing from the slot in the lamp seat of the front fender flare reinforcement bracket.

[IMG][/IMG]

BODY/EXTERIOR/WHEEL OPENING FLARE MOLDING - FRONT - REMOVAL

1. Remove the rivets (1) securing the fender flares (4) to the support (3).
2. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the clips attaching the flare (1) to the fender (3) and remove.
3. Disconnect the marker light electrical connector, if equipped.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for any help. All of this to change the side clearance light and lens on the fender which someone broke throwing a rock at the jeep arrrrghhhh!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'm going to rename this and put it in the write up section. It'll help alot of people..

I would suggest buying new plastic revits, it was the easiest way when I took my rear flares off..

I drilled them out with just a smaller drill bit than the revit and they popped right off.

I didnt want to chance pulling on the flares and stretching the plastic.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You don't have to drill them out. I used a small phillips driver to push the center in, it wasn't that hard. I bought a box of 25 rivets from an auto paint supply house for about $7.00. Just bring one of the old ones with you as there are a couple of different sizes available.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have a part number for the fender flare plastic rivits from any of the national parts stores? I have been to murray's and my local hardware and niether had them. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Covert_Ops
Anyone have a part number for the fender flare plastic rivits from any of the national parts stores? I have been to murray's and my local hardware and niether had them. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
I picked mine up at the chevy dealership..

or did you try the Jeep dealer?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Maybe I am just an idiot, but those drawings don't really make it any clearer on how to take fenders off and put them back on the right way without damaging anything. I need it to be in writeup style like I have got accustomed to here at jk-forum.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep dealer wants $3.50 each.... Murrays did not have them, and neither did Carquest. I was able to tap the knowledge of a friend of mine who worked in the plastics industry. He pointed me to a website something like the fasterner warehouse. Got 100 of them for about $24.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Plastic rivets

I bought mine at Lowes, they have them in the department with special screws, bolts etc.
I just changed my bumper out.
The rivets you are taking out are a pain, they really don't srew out you need to pull then just pop them out.
I bought some at Lowes but got to re use most of the ones I pulled out.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took a big flat head screw driver and placed it on the back side of the rivet, so I could push on it and it not drive the rivet into my finger. This allowed the top side to pop out just enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there. Grip it around the body of the rivet. You then pull it out. It was very frustrating in the biggining, but after I figured out how to do it, it took just a few seconds to do each one. They are very much like dry wall anchors , only it is all one piece. To reuse them, just flaten them out and push it back into the whole. Then snap the back side of the rivet in place. This will all make since if you need this info. They can come out and be reused very easily. also If you are just changing the marker lights you dont have to take your fenders off to do it just take off a few, then work them out.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 AM
no9
JK Newbie

So what your telling me JK-RUBIJON is just pop out some of those clips and I should be able to weasel my new unbroken cheap plastic marker in between the fender and support without having to disassemble the entire front end of the jeep? Have you done this because if thats the case you just saved me time and alot of swearing.

Quick Reply: Fender removal/Changing-marker lights