JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Garage Door Remote wired switch with relay (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/garage-door-remote-wired-switch-relay-152338/)

davegus 12-15-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by rich1340 (Post 1985112)
I did something similar. I included it with the rest of my stuff in my switch box. It also controls my winch, rock lights, and turns off my abs/esp. I'm getting ready to redo it and go wireless with all of it.

Very nice. How are you going to go wireless with all those components?

rich1340 12-15-2010 06:04 PM

That's a good question. I will let you know when I figure it out. I've been experimenting with RC circuit boards for a while. I've got a utility truck and I put 12v actuators on all of the tool box doors and made them remotely operated. This will be tougher but doable.

davegus 12-15-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by rich1340 (Post 1985274)
That's a good question. I will let you know when I figure it out. I've been experimenting with RC circuit boards for a while. I've got a utility truck and I put 12v actuators on all of the tool box doors and made them remotely operated. This will be tougher but doable.

Well good luck with it - Haven't seen anything like it, so it will be very interesting to read your write up when ever you get around to it hint hint.

ssg381 12-15-2010 06:20 PM

awesome write up... great job.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

rich1340 12-15-2010 07:18 PM

Hint taken. Ill be sure to do a write up. I like your relay idea. I didn't even think about that. I thought it was a non issue because its usually in the garage. But I have left it outside doorless before. Never gave it second thought. I did worry about someone pushing my winch in button when its already spooled up tight.

PhxRainey 12-26-2010 06:09 AM

Bump:cool:

JKRubi10 03-08-2011 01:43 PM

Excellent Write up

That is a beautiful job. Have seen other similar mods with individual switches. I like the rocker idea as I too have double garage doors and don't want to lose the ability to open the other door if I need to.

I'm not necessarily worried about the opener not working without power... so I guess I could forgo the steps with the relay and just wire up the rocker switch straight up and get the same results?

Thanks for a nice job

davegus 03-08-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JKRubi10 (Post 2148144)
That is a beautiful job. Have seen other similar mods with individual switches. I like the rocker idea as I too have double garage doors and don't want to lose the ability to open the other door if I need to.

I'm not necessarily worried about the opener not working without power... so I guess I could forgo the steps with the relay and just wire up the rocker switch straight up and get the same results?

Thanks for a nice job

Yup - you can skip the relay and just wire the common directly back to the switch PCB, and it should work just fine (all the time :) ). Thanks for the nice feedback.

JKRubi10 03-08-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by davegus (Post 2148398)
Yup - you can skip the relay and just wire the common directly back to the switch PCB, and it should work just fine (all the time :) ). Thanks for the nice feedback.

Partly did the mod tonight. Your remote is the same one I have.... just touched the wires to the spots on the circuit board you indicated and without soldering even, worked the switch and opened and closed both garage doors. :clap:

Now I just have to pop off the panel, drill some holes and do a little soldering....

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

2011COD 08-11-2011 04:16 AM

I don't even have a garage, let alone a house and I want to do this. O well, some day!