Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Garage Door Remote wired switch with relay

Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich1340
I did something similar. I included it with the rest of my stuff in my switch box. It also controls my winch, rock lights, and turns off my abs/esp. I'm getting ready to redo it and go wireless with all of it.
Very nice. How are you going to go wireless with all those components?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a good question. I will let you know when I figure it out. I've been experimenting with RC circuit boards for a while. I've got a utility truck and I put 12v actuators on all of the tool box doors and made them remotely operated. This will be tougher but doable.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rich1340
That's a good question. I will let you know when I figure it out. I've been experimenting with RC circuit boards for a while. I've got a utility truck and I put 12v actuators on all of the tool box doors and made them remotely operated. This will be tougher but doable.
Well good luck with it - Haven't seen anything like it, so it will be very interesting to read your write up when ever you get around to it hint hint.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

awesome write up... great job.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hint taken. Ill be sure to do a write up. I like your relay idea. I didn't even think about that. I thought it was a non issue because its usually in the garage. But I have left it outside doorless before. Never gave it second thought. I did worry about someone pushing my winch in button when its already spooled up tight.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Excellent Write up

That is a beautiful job. Have seen other similar mods with individual switches. I like the rocker idea as I too have double garage doors and don't want to lose the ability to open the other door if I need to.

I'm not necessarily worried about the opener not working without power... so I guess I could forgo the steps with the relay and just wire up the rocker switch straight up and get the same results?

Thanks for a nice job
Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRubi10
That is a beautiful job. Have seen other similar mods with individual switches. I like the rocker idea as I too have double garage doors and don't want to lose the ability to open the other door if I need to.

I'm not necessarily worried about the opener not working without power... so I guess I could forgo the steps with the relay and just wire up the rocker switch straight up and get the same results?

Thanks for a nice job
Yup - you can skip the relay and just wire the common directly back to the switch PCB, and it should work just fine (all the time ). Thanks for the nice feedback.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davegus
Yup - you can skip the relay and just wire the common directly back to the switch PCB, and it should work just fine (all the time ). Thanks for the nice feedback.
Partly did the mod tonight. Your remote is the same one I have.... just touched the wires to the spots on the circuit board you indicated and without soldering even, worked the switch and opened and closed both garage doors.

Now I just have to pop off the panel, drill some holes and do a little soldering....

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't even have a garage, let alone a house and I want to do this. O well, some day!

Quick Reply: Garage Door Remote wired switch with relay