Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Ghetto Hard Top Storage Cart

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto Hard Top Storage Cart

(fade in Elvis: And his momma cried...)

So I had my hard top sitting horizontally on some furniture dollies I got a Harbor Freight for dirt cheap. I saw what Robar did in his write-up and was inspired. I had a 2x4 and some 1/4" foam (Lowe's) in the garage and started after work the other day. Here is my creation (sorry for the crappy pics):

Cart frame w/ Dollies, 2x4 and a 1x4 in the front (will support bottom of window). Notice the angled 2x4's on the sides to follow the lines of the hard top. All secured with deck screws I had on the shelf.

I then added some 2x4's on the corners and in the middle (left spaces for the hinges) to level out the top once placed on the cart

Checked the fit

Added some foam rubber I bought at Lowe's. Nice stuff, a little more than 1/4" thick. I adhered it to the wood with spray glue. I also layered on the corners and other areas labeled to follow the contour of the hard top (and for the window to sit on).

All done! I have the straps on there as a "just in case" measure. They aren't very tight, just enough to keep everything on the dollies if something happens (which is usually the case with me). I covered it with a moving blanket and plastic sheeting to keep it nice until this fall.

I don't claim to be a craftsman, but this thing is really sturdy and gave me a lot more room in the garage. I love what others have done with their hard top hangers, but with the garage door opener and access ladder to the attic, I have no room to hang the top. This works for now!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice!

I didn't know you were training to be a cage fighter, Kip?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great minds think alike. I did almost the same thing.

Quick Reply: Ghetto Hard Top Storage Cart