Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hitch install

Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch install

My x didn't come with a hitch and I really need one. What size should I get? How hard is it? And how do I do the adapter for the trailer lights?????
Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy072288
My x didn't come with a hitch and I really need one. What size should I get? How hard is it? And how do I do the adapter for the trailer lights?????
2" reciever hitch "kit".
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

I got the Mopar 2in hitch. Bolts right up to the frame with four bolts. i also go the Mopar wiring harness, Plugs into the drive side tail light. Really easy to install whole thing takes no more then 30 mins and all you need is a philips screw driver and a socket not sure of the size tho.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto on the 2" hitch. I bought the rugged ridge one from quadratec. Make sure you order the wiring harness at the same time. I removed the factory tow hook from my 2010 at the same time. To do that you'll need to remove the bumper (also not hard).
Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 09jaykay
I got the Mopar 2in hitch. Bolts right up to the frame with four bolts. i also go the Mopar wiring harness, Plugs into the drive side tail light. Really easy to install whole thing takes no more then 30 mins and all you need is a philips screw driver and a socket not sure of the size tho.
And a torque wrench to properly torque down the bolts. But I will say that the Mopar hitch and wiring harness were some of the easiest installs that I've ever done on a vehicle. For 2012s, you don't need to remove the bumper or exhaust. If you have all the tools with you, it can be done in under 15 minutes easy. And to think, the dealer said they'd charge me for 2 hours labor to put it on.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

I bought a (not so)Hidden Hitch and the wiring adapter. Echoing what some of the other posters have said, easiest install of anything ever. I have a 2011, and did not have to remove anything for install. Just pushed the hitch up under the bumper and put in the 4 bolts, cranked them down, and finished it off with a torque wrench.

In all honesty, I only did 1 of the 4 bolts. My wife wanted to see what it takes to work on cars and I let her finish the rest! She has the mechanical skill of a mouse with oppasable thumbs, literally ANYONE can do this. She finished up the hitch while I ran the wiring.

I personally like the Hidden Hitch because of the extra length it sticks out. I leave a nice big hitch ball on there to ward off and protect my Jeep from tailgaters.

Quick Reply: Hitch install