Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Home-Made Cargo Netting

Old 03-28-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice work! I dont know much about stitching but this looks really time consuming. How long is it taking you to stitch the connections? Are you doing it by hand or machine? In any event, seems like one of the more rewarding mods and I cant wait to see the finished installed product!

bubba
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbad323
very nice work! I dont know much about stitching but this looks really time consuming. How long is it taking you to stitch the connections? Are you doing it by hand or machine? In any event, seems like one of the more rewarding mods and I cant wait to see the finished installed product!

bubba
I am using a sewing machine. I wouldn't do this if I had to do it by hand.... way too time consuming. The actual sewing of the top portion above probably took between 4 and 5 hours. The rest of the time was spent in layout. Each line is double stitched with upholstery thread to make it strong.

If this freaking rain would stop, I could get out and move to the next step.. been raining for a damn week here!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, another update.

Here are the straps that will hold the top and sides in place. 16 of them!

The Passenger side is done. There will be some final stitching done (reinforcements along the stress lines) but it is basically finished.

Here is the side and top, with the Bikini top just laid in place to show what it will looks like.

Finishing the other side and the rear will allow me to tighten up the net a little more, get rid of the little bit of slack you see.

Tomorrow I will finish the driver's side and, hopefully, the rear with all the quick disconnect buckles to make it easy to load/unload.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, I need to find some strapping in neon green!!!

Red
Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Preacher
Ok, another update.

Here are the straps that will hold the top and sides in place. 16 of them!

The Passenger side is done. There will be some final stitching done (reinforcements along the stress lines) but it is basically finished.

Here is the side and top, with the Bikini top just laid in place to show what it will looks like.

Finishing the other side and the rear will allow me to tighten up the net a little more, get rid of the little bit of slack you see.

Tomorrow I will finish the driver's side and, hopefully, the rear with all the quick disconnect buckles to make it easy to load/unload.

Very Nice....I think I saw something like that in Jurassic Park....
Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am disappointed. I hoped to finish it today but I ran out of thread! I was sure 2 rolls would be enough...

I got the driver's side done and the tailgate about 2/3 done.

Guess I'll have to try and get down to the hobby place tomorrow.

RANT MODE: What kind of f&(*&$ hobby store is NOT open on a SUNDAY???? Morons.... :(
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

What are you using to anchor it to the frame?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacsJK
What are you using to anchor it to the frame?
Right now, S-hooks. I am looking for a source for flat hooks (like you see on some tie-downs, especially those designed to hook into a car's gutter for a roof rack)

In other news...

DONE!

Here is the rear. You can see the quick disconnect buckles to give me easy access. The bottom is to keep from having to attack it to the tailgate and to keep it from flapping in the breeze.

With the tailgate closed

Passenger side. It looks loose, but that is because my measuring skills are off. It is pretty tight....

Driver's side

LESSONS LEARNED: There is a reason the manufacturers charge so much for stuff like this. Not because they are the only source or even because their product cannot be reproduced by the end user.

It is because this kind of thing, when done by hand and without the tools, jigs and plans needed to make a first rate product.... SUCKS.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

wow i bet you never want to look at a needle and thread ever again. that is a great job you did there. that is some dedication. i was thinking of making one out of 550 cord. i have a ton of it.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Offroadme
wow i bet you never want to look at a needle and thread ever again. that is a great job you did there. that is some dedication. i was thinking of making one out of 550 cord. i have a ton of it.
You got that right.

It was an educational experience and I am glad I did it, but I sure won't be starting up a side business doing this stuff!

Quick Reply: Home-Made Cargo Netting