Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Home-made Jerry can carriers

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home-made Jerry can carriers

Took some 10ga steel plate and traced the bottom of a can and plasma cut it with a 2x2 inch ear on each side that I could bend up 90° on the ends for retaining tabs. I then cut a square piece of 1/4" plate and drilled 4 holes to put 2 square-bend 2x3 u-bolts through to bolt the assembly to the tire carrier. I cut a piece of 2x2x1/4 square tubing square on 1 end and 45derees on the other end to weld onto the small plate with 4 holes in it. It's important to give yourself enough material on the bottom mounting bracket plate to be able to weld your square tubing onto it without covering up the holes you drilled, and leaving enough room for nuts and washers. I then welded the oval plate (10ga material) to the 45degree cut-end of the square tubing, and made a 1x1x1/8 angle iron gusset underneath to brace the opposite corner of the platform for the weight of a full can of gas. I also welded 2 strips of angle iron to each long side of the platform to make more retaining area to keep the cans from sliding off from the bottom. Most of this DIY was trial and error fitting. different sized tires may require different length of mounting arms and different tire carriers may require different cutting angles. Hopefully this will help give you a general design idea though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by nitecrawler; 07-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

If anyone needs specific measurements of everything and is planning on doing this let me know and I'll measure everything.

I debated making some of these to sell but I have no idea if ppl would buy them and how much I should sell them for. The Rock Hard ones go for much more than what I wanted to spend and why buy it when you can build it right?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

From what I can tell, those carriers look plenty beefy. I wish the pics were rotated so we could get a better view of them.
...and yes...building them is much more fun. BTW...what happened to the fabricators forum???
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice job! I just fabricated my own Jerry can carrier as well! It's a rewarding experience.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

It's definitely a privilege to work at a fabrication plant and have really cool managers who don't really care about using the equipment after hours.

I'm building some rock rails and a roof rack basket also.

I might build the top basket for the tire carrier also the same way I built the Jerry can carriers. I'm just concerned about how the smittybilt knock-off (e-autogrilles eBay) bumper will support the extra weight. It seems pretty sturdy.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fixed those pictures for you

Click image for larger version

Name:	a6937ba1-0cfd-c758.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	345710

Click image for larger version

Name:	a6937ba1-0d31-2011.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	345711
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Nice job/write-up - thanks -
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thx x 2

Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for rotating the pics. Definitely gives me a better idea of how you put the carriers together. Very nice work! While you are fabricating stuff, I need an aluminum roof rack and a new rear bumper/tire carrier. LOL
Seriously though...good work man! Keep it up!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Thanks for rotating the pics. Definitely gives me a better idea of how you put the carriers together. Very nice work! While you are fabricating stuff, I need an aluminum roof rack and a new rear bumper/tire carrier. LOL
Seriously though...good work man! Keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback and funny you mention it, I'm probably going to spend this weekend finishing my homemade roof rack and I'll be glad to post pics if you need ideas. Unfortunately it won't be aluminum however

I need some ideas for the roof rack. I know the general direction I want to go, 48 x 72 with a 3" radius 90degree bend at each corner. 2 identical square frames like that one on top of the other 3 inches apart (3" lip height) welded together and welded onto the congo cage frame. What I'm stuck on tho is what am I going to put in between the upper and lower squares to keep them 3 inches apart.

kinda thinking something like this:

Last edited by nitecrawler; 07-27-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Home-made Jerry can carriers