Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homemade Freedom Panel Bags

Old 05-19-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this under $100 to make?
Yes. About $35.00 total.
The fabric I used came from a 25 dollar grill cover I bought at walmart and ripped apart.
Then maybe another 10 bucks for thread, velcro, and nylon straps.

The thing that will really determine your overall cost is the fabric. Fabric of this heavy quality can be expensive. You just have to shop around and find a good clearance sale. Or use one of the 68 inch grill covers. It's just with those you have to tear them apart and piece the fabric together to give yourself a solid big piece to work with, but it's cheap.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up for the creativity - seems like there is so much less storage space than even my previous TJ. Need all the space we can get!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OkieMike
Good thing I was a Parachute Rigger in the Navy. I can sew my ass off. I have 2 sewing machines that I bought at garage sales and fixed. I have been meaning to make a pattern and do this. Thanks divegirl
Mike:

Would a standard sewing machine be able to handle this task (with the appropriate needle)? Or do i need to find one of those super duper Rigger sewing machines and learn to do the "Box-X" stitch?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn that's awesome. That's True Jeep Dedication. I'm still doing the ole' comforter trick with my panels, but your homemade covers is the way to go.

thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mike:

Would a standard sewing machine be able to handle this task (with the appropriate needle)? Or do i need to find one of those super duper Rigger sewing machines and learn to do the "Box-X" stitch?
A regular sewing machine does the job. You just have to buy the appropriate size needle for this project.

You need an "upolstery" sewing machine needle
And you need upolstery thread.

Mine had no trouble with it and I have an old machine.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

for some reason I can't see the photos? :sad:
Old 08-26-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Those look great! If I only had a sewing machine, I'd ditch the moving pad I've been using.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I not sure where I went wrong and I did just like you said and they were not wide enough. So I went back and had to add a extension piece so they would fit in. The next panel I added four inches instead of two inches and that was just right. I not great at sewing but I at lease I gave it shot. Most of my project come out ok I guess. I am just not going to win any prizes for my great sewing ability . Thanks for posting this, it did direct me in the right direction. It took four yards of material .
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

I made a couple of these bags - total cost $16.00. I found some clearanced upholstry material, some heavy thread, a needle. I didn't put any handles on. I have the 2 door. I put the rear seat up, lay the bags in the bag(on top of each other), put the bags against the back seat, take a bungee cord, hook it around the outside of the headrest and the other end the rear seat clamp - then do the other side - the bungees just criss-cross each other. This way I can still use the cargo area.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice dude, nice. I can't sew and I can't get the girlfriend out of the JK long enough to do anything in the house.

Quick Reply: Homemade Freedom Panel Bags