Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hood Light Bar / Accessory Mounts

Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if a budget build challenge is what its going to come down to I'm in. What we'd need is someone to pick something to fab up and we can do our own ideas and reveal at the same timeish. Just some rediculous ideas. God damn I want work to be over to get started on the build!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UofOmoose
if a budget build challenge is what its going to come down to I'm in. What we'd need is someone to pick something to fab up and we can do our own ideas and reveal at the same timeish. Just some rediculous ideas. God damn I want work to be over to get started on the build!
Dude! Get to work on it already... I'm at work, bored, and I want to see what you come up with!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Dude, im at work too! soon though
Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Dude, im at work too! soon though
Time to quit your job and go home.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

alrighty so i've done all the preassembly stuff and painted. Found out though that the undercoating rubberized paint is actually brown, even though the cap is black. What kinda crap is that! so off to home depot for some black paint and primer. How can i take my pictures which are good sized files and shrink them down to fit inside these posts? It'd be much easier to show and tell so to say. Anyone wanna gimme the skinny? Im running the latest macbook pro with leopard... thanks guys
Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Alrighty than! So!
I began my taking my decking tie bracket things and cutting those to size and drilling them with the necessaries.

I took some cardboard and made a template of the hinge on the jk's hood that i will be adding this on top of. I made holes where the bolts were.

From here i tossed the step drill bit (which i highly recommend buying because very useful and cheap and harbor freight:-)) in the drill and drilled out my 1/4" holes.

I then took the angled zinc plate out to the jk and rested it on top of the hinges so i could center it up and make center marks where the bolts were on each side. These lines will come in use when you take the bracket and line it up with the holes.

In the next picture you'll see how i centered up the bracket with the angled zinc plate to make my marks for drilling the last holes in the bracket.

Now the L brackets as well as the zinc plate was ready to clean up and prep for paint. I went through with a grinder the smooth out imperfections as well as sand everything over one time and then washed it with some simple green. Sit those aside and let them dry off (assuming you dried them most the way with a towel) while we size down the other bracket plate things (forgot the name). So on these brackets you can see that im just using the existing holes rather than making more work for myself. The holes will be slightly off center, but you wont be able to notice. I did take the grinder/cutter and cut off the unnecessary bar. Then again, just roughed it up and preped it for paint.

Finally i take some wire and a pole(used a mop) and hang all of the parts to be painted in my "paint booth" :-).

So this stuff is gnarly and gets everywhere. heads up. but it rust proofs, heavy duty, and gives an awesome texture i think.:-)

So now im just letting it dry (about 4-6 hours) then i'll prime it and paint it tonight and let it dry over night so i can get to it tomorrow morning (have the next two days off!!) So yep! let me know if you have questions/comments.

The rubberized coating im using is going to give an awesome texture.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Old 04-07-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

whats with the popcorn?... eh?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

whats with the popcorn?... eh?
Just something to eat while we watch for the final results. If you're out, you can have some of mine.

It doesn't look like bolsak is going to share.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a little suggestion before you go too far..I think it would look bitchin if you used some rectangular tubing with end caps instead of the slotted angle iron. Drill through only half of the tubing so all the nuts are inside the tubing. Then I think you'ld have a winner.

Just my $.02... Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: Hood Light Bar / Accessory Mounts