Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

How to remove your transfer case / 4wd knob

Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-case and shifter knob

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I followed off road evolution's instructions..

Basically grab it and pull as hard as you can, but while you do that also twist it from side to side. Came right off.
Yes, and it can help if you put it in 4 wheel low, saves the fingers
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just pulled my shift knob today,not the 4x one but i think they both work the same. You have to push down on the small plastic piece at the bottom of the knob. It will drop off and out of the way, I didn't even need to pry it. Then yes its a case of just pulling real hard on the knob until you punch yourself in the eye ha ha. Worked for me anyways, aside from knocking my glasses clear off my face!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

sorry guys this is on a 2011 didn't realize this was a post from 2010 i clicked on new posts? Anyways hope this helps someone on here. Just tryin to do my part and help out I know i take my share of info from here so try to give back when i can.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Had the same problem with the damn knob! I wrapped a towel around the knob and put one leg on driver side chair and the other on the passenger.....and grabbed each end of the towel and pulled hard and it popped it right off! Just one important thing, MUST watch out for the knob as it becomes a flying projectile!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man you're a life saver I have the entire cab upstairs dismantled to fix the transfer case shifting components. I got the cap off but I sat there wondering how in the @#$@#$ would I get the other part off, twisting, pulling, and I realized something wasn't right. You just saved me 45 minutes of taking a saws all to it
Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatjeepguy
Man you're a life saver I have the entire cab upstairs dismantled to fix the transfer case shifting components. I got the cap off but I sat there wondering how in the @#$@#$ would I get the other part off, twisting, pulling, and I realized something wasn't right. You just saved me 45 minutes of taking a saws all to it
Correction, I was excited about your write up until I tried it, and unfortunately for me, I ended up cutting mine off anyhow, it just wouldnt budge and i was running out of day light :P
Old 04-16-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

finally got my TC shifter off. Thanks for help. Popped the top, removed the round retaining ring, pulled with every ounce of energy to no joy. Realized that I probably had some rust due to the water I found under the shifter top, so I sprayed some good ole WD-40 and 3 min later I tried pulling again and it popped right off. Good luck to anyone else trying to get theirs off.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive pulled mine off many a times and all I had to do was pull. Fist time was pretty intense, but after that it seemed to get easier.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

2012, twisted while pulling hard and the transfer case knob came right off.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

2009 - holy ballsac... Curse a few times is right. That thing was a PITA to get off. What was Jeep thinking?

Quick Reply: How to remove your transfer case / 4wd knob