Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing a Dodge Nitro Amplifier in a JK

Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Pinch
So after reading all of the posts I still don't have an answer to my question:
I just want to replace my soundbar speakers with a plug and play set-up.
I have a 2010 Infinity system.
Does anyone know of a plug and play upgrade for the soundbar speakers.
I don't want to change anything else.
Quadratec sells 6.5" Kickers replacement that is plug and play....

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm

You could also check Crutchfield and find one that fits. Crutchfield also makes their speakers plug & play...If you do choose one, try to find one w/2ohms that's what the JK speakers impedance are rated....
Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a month after I bought my used 2007 JK and the front right speakers have no sound, just buzzing when you fade to full right/front. I took it into the dealer last week and they tried to replace the speakers to no avail, even though I suggested that it seems like the front channel on the radio or amp went out, not the speakers (why would've both gone out).
So, now I'm waiting for a new amp to come in. Everything is still covered under the factory warranty. What do you think the chances are I can get them to stick a Nitro amp in instead of the JK amp? I'm thinking this would be a good time to upgrade.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoneMill
It's a month after I bought my used 2007 JK and the front right speakers have no sound, just buzzing when you fade to full right/front. I took it into the dealer last week and they tried to replace the speakers to no avail, even though I suggested that it seems like the front channel on the radio or amp went out, not the speakers (why would've both gone out).
So, now I'm waiting for a new amp to come in. Everything is still covered under the factory warranty. What do you think the chances are I can get them to stick a Nitro amp in instead of the JK amp? I'm thinking this would be a good time to upgrade.
They wont...You can ask but I wouldn't count on it..
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aRKade
The difference between the front and soundbar speakers is that the fronts have the tombstone tweeters. The soundbar speakers are just the woofer part of the speaker package. That is why when you turn the fronts down you get no highs. Replacing the soundbar speakers with aftermarket speakers that come with a tweeter will give you a lot better sound.
I am curious if the head unit/amp have the crossovers set to send the higher frequencies to the sound bar speakers to fully utilize the upgraded speakers with the tweeter... Anyone?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Arrow

I read this whole thread. i have had a lot of Audiophile components (McIntosh, TRU, Sinfoni, Brax, Focal, Dynaudio), and I realize the Jeep is not made for that type of quality. But it's pretty clear all this work is wrecking what little soundstage the Jeep Wrangler comes with stock. The sound bar is supposed to be barely noticable. Thats the whole point of a decent stage, the rear is meant to be fill, and not to equal the power of the fronts. Coming from other oem sound systems that were far worse, i was amazed with the quality of the front stage, and the stock front tweeter placement. It is also ideal when you can't hear the sub overpowering the system, which is how it is stock. It all blends beautifully. I cringe at everyone installing tweets behind their head, and trying to make their soundbar twice as loud. (Not to mention all the distortion everyone seems to experience.) All this is doing is destroying what little sound quality the Jeep has, pulling the entire image back behind your head.

Its all counter productive to me, for the end result of a lower SQ system, but at least its louder and has distortion
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by plac
I read this whole thread. i have had a lot of Audiophile components (McIntosh, TRU, Sinfoni, Brax, Focal, Dynaudio), and I realize the Jeep is not made for that type of quality. But it's pretty clear all this work is wrecking what little soundstage the Jeep Wrangler comes with stock. The sound bar is supposed to be barely noticable. Thats the whole point of a decent stage, the rear is meant to be fill, and not to equal the power of the fronts. Coming from other oem sound systems that were far worse, i was amazed with the quality of the front stage, and the stock front tweeter placement. It is also ideal when you can't hear the sub overpowering the system, which is how it is stock. It all blends beautifully. I cringe at everyone installing tweets behind their head, and trying to make their soundbar twice as loud. (Not to mention all the distortion everyone seems to experience.) All this is doing is destroying what little sound quality the Jeep has, pulling the entire image back behind your head.

Its all counter productive to me, for the end result of a lower SQ system, but at least its louder and has distortion
I couldn't agree more. I've had aftermarket stereos in almost all my cars but I'm pretty satisfied with the Wrangler's Infinity set-up. Your comments about the front sound stage are spot-on. I also think it has something to do with the placement of the front mids--which face forward rather than sideways the way they do in 99.9% of cars. I was shocked by how much I like the Infinity set-up.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

I agree 100%. Sound sources must be in front of the listener, not on his back.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlackDiamond
I agree 100%. Sound sources must be in front of the listener, not on his back.
wow i expected a lot of disagreement.. people actally know a thing or two about stereos around here..
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've spent a lot of time tweaking my TJ to get the best sound possible from it by installing custom fiberglass enclosures w/ component systems in the front and aftermarket subs in the back, tuning like crazy, trying 20 different brand of speakers, amps, subs and in the end i was able to get good volume/sq but it was very difficult and never succeeded in achieving the blend that my new JK sound system has. I could blast my stereo in my TJ w/ no distortion all day w/ all the aftermarket stuff but i would still prefer the soundstage of the JK's Infinity System. Everything is tuned perfectly. The music surrounds you in a similar way it does in a regular car w/ a good system. Its important for people to know that any modification they do to their jeep sound system effects the eq of the whole system. The stock infinity system has been precisely tuned for all parts of that system to work together. That means, the gains, crossover points, equalization, balance, phase have all been set and optimized by engineers to produce the best sound for the price/package. Though it is all subjective. If you add the Nitro amp to the jeep it might play louder, etc. and some would perceive that as being an "improvement" but it changes how the sound is tuned. In the end its all just an opinion of the user. In my opinion i would not mess with the stock system without knowing how it is effecting the system as a whole. You can't just mix and match things and say, "it should have been like that all along", "Chrysler is stupid"
Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone actually opened the infinity amp and looked if there are any adjustment pots inside.

Quick Reply: Installing a Dodge Nitro Amplifier in a JK