Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing MOPAR Cruise Control

Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ooops!

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
Disconnect battery:

First, loosen the negative (black wires) terminal clamp from the battery using a 10mm box-end wrench. Then isolate the connector from the battery terminal so you are positive it cannot be jostled around from you getting in and out of your Jeep and touch the battery. I just covered the negative battery terminal with a leather glove for this purpose.

Now, get a soda, twiddle your thumbs, and wait 2 minutes for the airbag capacitor to discharge.

Airbag removal:

This was, by far, the hardest part of the install, and the instructions for this step sucked. So, I took lots of pictures, hopefully they will help. Remember, you're working with an explosive device here, treat it gently. Don't drop, puncture, or abuse it. Try not to point it at your face and store it face up (Jeep emblem up) so that if the unit discharges, it doesn't become a projectile.

Lower the tilt-steering wheel to its lowest position, then insert your key and turn it to unlock the steering wheel.

There are three access holes at the 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 6 o'clock positions on the back of the steering wheel shroud. Locate these now. Here is a picture of one of them:

Rotate the steering wheel till one of the top two (10 o'clock or 2 o'clock) holes is pointed straight up. Now, take your stubby, wide bladed standard screwdriver with the blade parallel to the ground and insert it into the hole as far as it will go, as shown:

Next, twist the screwdriver 90 degrees to disengage a wire loop on the airbag from a hook on the steering wheel hub. Below is a picture of what is actually happening inside the plastic shroud:

Hopefully this helps you envision what you're trying to accomplish when you're working on your Jeep and can't see what is happening because of the plastic shroud.

Pull on the airbag from the front as you disengage each loop to keep it from snapping back over the hook once it is free. After the first loop is free, turn the steering wheel till the next access hole is straight up and repeat the process. Do the top two loops first, and the bottom (6 o'clock) hole last. The second two loops are much easier once the first is disengaged.

This picture clearly shows the three metal loops you are trying to disengage from the hooks. After all three hooks are released, disconnect the two plugs from the back of the airbag and set it aside. Behind the airbag, you can see the four switches that set off the horn when pressed, and the cable that connects them to the steering column.

Now we're ready to remove the steering wheel.

Hold on a second, don't make the mistake that i did, it cost me $250 to get it fixed, first unplug the horn from the steering column, if you have a tough whell like I did it will not pull aprat the asemble that runs all of the switches and the real cool cruse control. the rest is easy and works great!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the write up... i was getting frustrated with the first step... getting the air bag off....
Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up and it definitely made the job easier than the Mopar instructions. The only issue I had was, when I reconnected the battery the ESP BAS light won't go off. Did anyone else have this issue and do I have to get the computer flashed to fix this? I have disconnected the battery a couple more times to reset the computer and see if this fixes the problem and no luck yet.

I am planning on going on a trip this weekend and want to know if this is a problem to drive with these lights on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the cruise control today and the ESP BAS light came on also. Does anyone have a solution to this? Will it go off on its own?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

about the BAS light, but i just installed my cruise tonight. This writeup was invaluable Thanks for the pics!

I didnt have a stubby screwdriver here at the house, so while i was poking around trying to find something to wedge in there to remove the airbag, i found these angled screwdrivers.

Never used em for anything until now, but the one on the right, i used the bottom end there stuck it in the slot and rocked the handle back towards the gauges and voila. Made for just this purpose i spose Cant wait to hit the road tomorrow to try this out.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

none of the pics are working for me,,is there any way i can fix that?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Naturalsyn
none of the pics are working for me,,is there any way i can fix that?
x2 I want to see. very interested in doing this.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Red face

Originally Posted by Rogue
x2 I want to see. very interested in doing this.
x3
i'm interested too
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Works great! thanks for the help. did have a bit of trouble removing the airbag. that L-shaped flat screwdrived worked well. for those who havent tried it yet. you will be pushing the screwdriver in with the blade going left to right with the screwdriver at at 20-30 degree angle from the ground pushing towards your belly. once inserted twist 90 degrees. good luck

Quick Reply: Installing MOPAR Cruise Control