Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing Superior CM Rear Axles

Old 02-14-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Superior CM Rear Axles

Installing Superior CM Rear Axles

I was apprehensive about installing new axles in the JK, but after talking with Dave at http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=SA-EV50 about up-grading my axles, I felt that I could do it. He installed the Tone ring and pressed on the Bearings so that it would be an easy install and so that I would have complete spare axles in case of any future breakage. He warned me about sliding the axle in slowly and in the center of the axle tube so that I wouldn’t disturb the oil seal. I told him that when I was done I would do a write-up so that others could see how easy it really is.

Tools:
Jack
Jack stands
18mm Socket
10mm Socket
Vise Grips
Pry Bar

Procedure:
  1. Jack up tire and place a jack stand so that the oil doesn’t flow out of the axle tube when you remove the axle shaft.
  2. Remove Wheel
  3. Remove (2) 18mm bolts from the brake caliper and tie the caliper out of the way. I used wire ties for this.
  4. Remove the brake rotor and set aside.
  5. Remove 10mm bolt holding the ABS sensor and move it out of the way. It’s easier to remove the bolt and sensor than it is to disconnect the wiring harness to the sensor.
  6. Remove (4) 18mm nuts holding axle retainer from the back of the dust shield. The bolts are spot welded to the retainer from the factory, but one of mine was not. I ended up removing the rear brake pads so that I could get a pair of Vise Grips on this bolt and remove it.
  7. Use pry bar to gently pull axle out.
  8. If the bearing race from your old axle doesn’t come out with the axle just pull it out with your fingers.
  9. Install provided lug nuts in your new axle.
  10. While holding the new axle in the center of the axle tube, gently slide it in until you feel the inner oil seal/bearings. What a good looking man!
  11. Center the axle until it slides into the seal a couple of inches after that you’ll feel the axle hit the splines. Hold the axle in the center of the tube and slowly turn while pushing until the splines line-up and you can continue pushing the axle in.
  12. Push the axle the rest of the way in while lining up the bolts on the axle retainer with the dust shield and the axle hub.
  13. Per the Service Manual, Install new 18mm nuts on the axle retainer and tighten to 45 ft. lbs. These were removed in #6. (Thanks go to ronjenx for service manual information).
  14. Re-install the ABS sensor removed in #4
  15. Re-install the rotor and caliper from #3 & 5
  16. Re-install Wheel
  17. Check and refill Differential as needed.

Last edited by KenB1010; 02-15-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

I couldn't find any evidence of an oil seal way down in the tube. Only the one pre-installed on the axle out by the bearing. I looked in the service manual and the parts catalog.

In step 13, do you mean reinstall nuts removed in step 6?
If so, this is from the service manual:

WARNING: Never reuse axle retainer nuts. Used torque nuts can loosen up. Failure to follow these instruction may result in personal injury.

Install new axle retainer nuts and tighten to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.).
Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I couldn't find any evidence of an oil seal way down in the tube. Only the one pre-installed on the axle out by the bearing. I looked in the service manual and the parts catalog.

In step 13, do you mean reinstall nuts removed in step 6?
If so, this is from the service manual:

WARNING: Never reuse axle retainer nuts. Used torque nuts can loosen up. Failure to follow these instruction may result in personal injury.

Install new axle retainer nuts and tighten to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.).
Thanks for the info, I edited the original post. I'm not sure about the oil seal, I thought I remember Dave saying that when I talked with him on the phone. I do remember him emphasizing to be careful with the Seal??/Bearing, because you could force it out of the tube into the pumpkin.

I gotta tell-ya, I'll disappointed that you didn't comment on the "good looking man" thing.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay Ken going to use your write up this weekend so I'll let you know if that's a good looking dude or the dumb ass that led me astray on Monday! Hope the build is going good I'm sweating ours...time in rapidly approaching for Moab EJS!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Okay Ken going to use your write up this weekend so I'll let you know if that's a good looking dude or the dumb ass that led me astray on Monday! Hope the build is going good I'm sweating ours...time in rapidly approaching for Moab EJS!
I want to do this but man . I would hate to mess it up lol
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SilverJK12

I want to do this but man . I would hate to mess it up lol
It's a pretty easy upgrade. Just go slow as you slide the axles in. You've got to line those splines up as it goes in. you won't mess it up, I'm a little concerned about sm-rubi though. (:-)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by KenB1010
It's a pretty easy upgrade. Just go slow as you slide the axles in. You've got to line those splines up as it goes in. you won't mess it up, I'm a little concerned about sm-rubi though. (:-)
Okay Mr. Bull in China Shop but I'll have Blonda help me guide it in...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

X2, TMI
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by toad
TMI
I didn't need that visual.
Originally Posted by KenB1010
X2, TMI
Okay okay I'll save all the details for the youtube video!

Anyway a couple of notes for the install. 1. the oem bearing has a tendency to come apart leaving behind part of the bearing cover which will remain in the axle tube...remove it or the axle will not seat properly. 2. there is a passenger and driver side even in the rear axle housing...if you try putting the driver side in the passenger side it won't seat properly. Thanks to my wonderful shop partner for not using the I told you so card!

Oh yeah, Ken you look marvelous!

Quick Reply: Installing Superior CM Rear Axles