Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing a Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit (illustrated)

Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing a Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit (illustrated)

Since Woods is a well known Sponsor on this site I am not going into all the details. His kit is complete and highly recommend him for the source of your parts. This installation took approx 2-3 hours (could go faster if you dont have kids ). I recommend removing the parts and cleaning them first to remove any road grime, mud, clay, etc. Having a dremel or equivalent made this job cake. If you do not have a decent set of tools, cutting tools, time, paint, patience etc. Then look for some help or pay to have it done.

The reason I bought the kit was due to trail damage. I came over a large over hang, up a steep hill, then I saw the look on my buddies face! Man you broke something man. I knew exactly what it was when he said it...

NOW ONTO THE INSTALL.

Just getting started.

Adapter plate before painting and mounting.

Cutting the factory mount is easy with a metal cutting disc.

After the Cut I painted the bare metal on the plate and the holes I drilled.

Black semi-gloss, I painted the entire assembly, Woods directions say to just paint the plate but I decided it would look better as one entire unit.

Cut holes in the storage area sound dampening material to recess the bolts and keep the floor flat.

Installed and tightened. It helps during this part to have a friend hold the bolts with a wrench while you tighten everything up from the bottom.

In its new home its just above the rear axle, Very nice and cozy up there. Should have come this way stock but now it looks as if it did. I painted all the holes on the Jeep to keep the body from rusting before I mounted it.

Factory looking finish,safe, and out of the way.

In conclusion, the directions were so good my 22 month old knew what to hand me as far as tools went! LOL. This kit is awesome and well worth the little money you spend on it! I had one question about a difference between the 2dr and 4dr. Woods was on call and had me going in about 5 seconds!

Woods, product, and materials were A+, just bring some good tools and patience.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pix. That will really help. Any issues on the hose relocation.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

I didnt have any issues with the hoses when I installed my kit. Highly reccomend it>
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by flyer415
Great pix. That will really help. Any issues on the hose relocation.
No issues on the hose relocation however I am now getting a GASCaP indication in the Electro Luminecent Display. I have contacted woods and we are currently working on the issue. Seems this happens to some people because of the new hose connections, hoses, and gaskets.

No biggie but I will update when I get a chance.
The following users liked this post:
jrcoffey (06-18-2018)
Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I just ordered the kit. I read earlier that the gasket tended to get lost when replacing the connections. I liked how Woods got involved and figured it out. Here's hoping that your issue gets fixed and that I have none.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed the kit about 2 weeks ago and no issues with gascap light or anything else for that matter. I thought I may be one of the unlucky ones too! I didn't disconnect the piece that has the gasket in question though. I worked around it with little problem. Total install was around 2 hours start to finish with a little redrilling one stinking hole out to get the bracket to line up.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

FIXED!

I removed the O-ring behind the white thingee, removed some small dirt on the gasket and then OILED it with used motor oil.

Put everything back together and installed the white thingee so that the wire harness is installed just like the instructions. It can be installed in several different ways.

I did this yesterday afternnoon and this morning only 12 hours later and the gascap error was gone!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

I need to do this as well.

Will there be any clearance problems under full articulation? Sometimes I tend to twist her up pretty good, but have a 4 inch lift. It seems like it should be OK, but how does it look?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I only have 2.5 inches of lift and there is TONS of rrom above the axle.

Look at it this way, if you had a stock suspension and twisted it up, you would hit the parking brake cables before you would hit the evap canister. Its tucked up there right nice.

Quick Reply: Installing a Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit (illustrated)