Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JCR Bumper / Tire Carrier Upgrade Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post JCR Bumper / Tire Carrier Upgrade Thread

I'm stubbing this out for my full experience in purchasing/coating/installing a JCR Offroad bumper and tire carrier.
I ordered it yesterday with a few week lead time. Until it arrives, I'll be getting a few quotes for powdercoating, ordering a daystar switch panel (which I'll document the installation of in this thread).

Currently: Researching switch panels and figuring out how to wire the reverse LEDs.

On Order:
Full-width Vanguard Bumper
Adventure Carrier
Hi-Lift Mount
RotoPax Carrier Mount
x2 RotoPax (Gas/H2o)
3x3 LED Reverse Lights x2
48" Hi-Lift Jack
Tailgate Cover Plate

ToDo:
  • Identify best wiring plan for LED lights. DONE
  • Figure out how to remove existing bumper. DONE
  • Source local powdercoating DONE. Changed to JCR Coat for color match purposes.
  • Order Switch Panel DONE. Ordered Daystar lower panel
  • Order Neoprene lift cover
  • Buy wife flowers to be delivered the day the credit card bill arrives.

I'll naturally do a full overview of my experience with JCR and their ordering process/customer service when everything is said and done. Initially, I'm very optimistic. They've been great to deal with and have made themselves very available to my numerous questions.

Last edited by AU_Guy; 11-18-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious why you didn't just have JCR powder coat everything for you. That's how I had mine done. For the extra cost, it was worth it not to have to track down a powder coat shop and take it in.

I have the Crusader mid width rear. I am looking to add the Adventure carrier with the same options you have picked. I will be interested in hearing your opinions and seeing some pics when you have it installed.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Curious why you didn't just have JCR powder coat everything for you. That's how I had mine done. For the extra cost, it was worth it not to have to track down a powder coat shop and take it in.

I have the Crusader mid width rear. I am looking to add the Adventure carrier with the same options you have picked. I will be interested in hearing your opinions and seeing some pics when you have it installed.
I went back and forth. In the end, I just would rather not take a chance in the coating getting damaged in shipping. Having them send it off for coating would have lengthened the lead time as well. From the few local places I've talked to so far they can get it in/out same day. I also figured that, should I add something new to the rear, it would be easier to match powdercoating with a local company.

I'll be sure to post plenty of pics of the process and the poser shots afterwards.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, my Classic Sliders could have been packed a little better. There was some powder coat that was a little scratched in a couple locations. But considering what they are for, I am likely to scratch the heck out of them at some point anyway, so I just touched it up with some rustoleum.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default The I-Can't-Wait Upgrade

I've been going stir crazy waiting for my bumper. I've already figured out my wiring and routing, so I needed something to do until it arrives. I ordered a new set of Retro decals from The Pixel Hut | Specialty Car Truck BMW Motorcycle Boat and Plane Graphics.
I think they look pretty slick. I've already got a few compliments on them. I screwed up the driver's side so I had to order a replacement (shout out to Richard @ pixelhut for being such a stand-up guy).
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141117_195610.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	584794

So mark that one off the list.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default Progress Shot from Last Week

I asked for it, and JCR graciously provided me with a shot of the bumper being put together. This is just the bumper portion, upside down (for anyone curious). I'm starting my pre-wiring tonight which I'll document through the process. I'm using an On/Off/On SPDT from OTRATTW along with the Daystar lower switch panel for mounting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-03 11.15.04.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	587267

Quick Reply: JCR Bumper / Tire Carrier Upgrade Thread