Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep Jk Ball Joint Installation

Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Jeep back and it's like it just got off the lot again. Feels great driving an really solid.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is an 07 with 72k miles on it. I probably could have used a hammer and regular fork, but since I had the air powered one, it made at least one part of the install painless

Truth be told, the hardest part was pressing them back in straight. The top ones really wanted to go in crooked so we had to really take our time with them. Also, we managed to damage the inner axle seal which caused a leaking problem. For those doing this, make sure you are careful when you put the axle shaft back in. Mine had a plastic ring outside of the seal to help line up the axle with the diff. It had fallen sideways when we tried to put the axle back in (which we didn't realize) and we shoved that part way into the diff causing the leak. Had to tear everything back apart to redo the seals to stop the leaking.....
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FutureMarineLT
Step one: Call a mechanic
Step two: Set up an appointment
Step three: Drip your car off for appointment
Step Four: Pay the $400 bill with a smile knowing you didn't break anything attempting to do the work yourself and saved the enormous headache you might have had for an entire day trying to save yourself $400.

That's all. Hahhahaha
$400!!!!!!!!

Wow! I was quoted $250 to install ball joints AND weld in c-gussets. I hope that included the price of the ball joints.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

If that included ball joints, you are, at best, getting factory ones which I would avoid if you can. Mine were more than $200 just for the ball joints.

Josh
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Nope they're synergy ball joints. I had already purchased them so the price if the ball joints was not included in the $400. It was actually $365. $300 for the install on ball joints for labor and then $50 for an alignment plus tax.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Did mine in 4 hours. Instead of separating all the steering components I used some leverage to push the unit bearing and hub apart. Just pivoted it out of the way.

It was a bitch to press them in and out, but the impact got the worst of it.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
Did mine in 4 hours. Instead of separating all the steering components I used some leverage to push the unit bearing and hub apart. Just pivoted it out of the way.

It was a bitch to press them in and out, but the impact got the worst of it.
yeah the trick is to leave the steering on until after you remove the unit bearing, thats how I do it. Using the steering you can pop off the unit bearing super easy.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great Project to Tackle

First off, I am far from being mechanically inclined. After some researching, preparation and patience, and not to mention, being extremely pressed for cash, I resorted to tackling the project of removing axles, pressing out and in ball joints, u-joints along with doing a dif service on my own with the help of my two teenage boys (14 & 17yrs) Appreciating this learning experience, I would definitely do it again. Plus my boys and I had a great time bonding and learning to wrench together. Good times

Here are some pics;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball Joints, U-Joints & Dif Service.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	393929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub Assembly.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	393930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Ball Joints.jpg
Views:	749