Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep JK Wrangler 42RLE Automatic Transmission Service Write-Up

Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the how-to on this and it should not be that difficult, but even with a 1/4" drive ratchet and a universal I cannot get the bolt on the rear of the pan that is on the drivers side. The universal ends up at a 90 degree angle and goes nowhere.
Is there a trick for this bolt? I just spent an hour on my back messing with this thing and it is absolutely driving me nuts.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jptjdan1
I have read the how-to on this and it should not be that difficult, but even with a 1/4" drive ratchet and a universal I cannot get the bolt on the rear of the pan that is on the drivers side. The universal ends up at a 90 degree angle and goes nowhere.
Is there a trick for this bolt? I just spent an hour on my back messing with this thing and it is absolutely driving me nuts.
A 1/4 drive socket and a 1/4 drive universal and a 3 inch long 1/4 drive extension was what I used to get at it. It didn't help that the bolt was VERY tight. I did this a year or 18 months ago and all I remember it was a real PITA. I think when I finally got it I had the wrench and socket at a very funny angle and by twisting a certain way up against the exhaust or skid or something I just finally got lucky. Getting it back in was nearly as hard, but I doubt I was able to torque it as tightly as it was originally... Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the excellent write-up WayofLife. Mine did take more than 5 Quarts though (6) before registering properly on dipstick. I don't know if it has anything to do with letting it drain overnight?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did mine today. first time in 49K miles.

One tip: Snap-on (and probably others), make a 10mm swivel socket. This socket has the universal built-in and works wonders on the 2 rear pan bolts that are the hardest to reach.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm going to be doing all of this over the weekend and needed some clarification. Do you have to use Mopar ATF+4? or will any brand ATF+4 work? Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default Changing Automatic transmission fluid. Tips well done!

Originally Posted by wayoflife

Changing out your Jeep JK Wrangler’s 42RLE Automatic Transmission fluid and filter is something you should do as a good part of regular maintenance. And, while doing this isn’t something as easy as a normal engine oil change where you basically pull a drain plug, swap out an external filter and refill with oil when done, it certainly isn’t a difficult job and doing it yourself can save you a lot of money. Of course, having the right tools will make all the difference and as is the case with all my write-ups, I have included a complete list of everything you will need to make this job go without a hitch.

Jeep JK Wrangler 42RLE Automatic Transmission Service Write-Up

Thank you for this write up. I tackled it tonight only issue I had was I broke my 1/4" universal socket.

One other question: My filter came with a rubber gasket. Which way is better to go this or gasket maker?

Quick Reply: Jeep JK Wrangler 42RLE Automatic Transmission Service Write-Up