Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

K & N snorkel

Old 04-14-2017, 01:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N snorkel

Piece of junk. After getting bushwhacker fenders and artic inter splach shields. Had a shop install. Had to cut fender and splash plates to fit snorkel. Put on a cold air intake when bought the jeep. Shop called and ask for a part off the stock intake. Seems that k&n snorkel uses the stock intake for intake air filter. Putting a 2 x 4 hole in snorkel system. By passing the intake from above fender. This is like putting a screen door on a submarine, looks good in the sunshine but when it gets wet only keep the fish out. WTF. Manual says to use foam plug when in wet conditions. Live in Washington state and it rains 7 to 9 months a year. Plan to use in the mountains like in water or wet areas. Now wasted money on intake that is a waste but splach plates are ruin. And shop money is down the drain. To remove snorkel and now have to find a replacement.
All this to not cut hole in the hood. No where in details does K&N say anything about using stock intake tube. And I spend 200 bucks above other intakes because it was looking like a well design system. At least AEV web site at bottom of page in red letters says can not be used with after market fenders.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So this isn't all that descriptive and some photos would clarify what you're describing.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you didn't do your home work. What do you expect, for them to design the snorkel around your custom fenders and stuff ? Next time before you order, try asking if what ever you buy will fit with what you have on your Jeep. I would never put a snorkel on my Jeep but if I did, K&N would be one of my choices.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dahreno
Sounds like you didn't do your home work. What do you expect, for them to design the snorkel around your custom fenders and stuff ? Next time before you order, try asking if what ever you buy will fit with what you have on your Jeep. I would never put a snorkel on my Jeep but if I did, K&N would be one of my choices.
Sadly this is true. And also, some shops have mouth breathing high school dropouts all of a sudden qualified to alter and customize a customers vehicle.

Chances are if you did the install yourself it could've panned out differently. The shops are trying to get it done as quickly as possible. The tech who was on the job probably didn't want to start losing his piece rate on doing what needed to be done on your rig.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of options out there for snorkels. I will always go with River Raider in the future. Pricing one out for my 14 now. They do use your stock air box as well.

Quick Reply: K & N snorkel