Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mopar add-a-trunk install and review

Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar add-a-trunk install and review

I recently purchased and installed the Mopar Add-a-Trunk for my 08 JK 2 Dr.
Since I was doing the install myself, I was looking for something easy to install which required little to zero "handyman" skills required. After looking at a few models and downloading their instructions, i figured the easiest choice was either the add-a-trunk or the Bestop Instatrunk. The Instatrunk didn't require any drilling and is made out of steel instead of plastic, but the top part of the trunk is fixed...you couldn't just open it up if you wanted to put in something a little bigger than usual. Plus, taking the whole thing off quickly required a tool which I would have to leave in the jeep, so I decided to go with the add-a-trunk because of the flip top and easy install and removal.

I bought the part (#82210312 for the 2Dr) at wyckoffchryslerparts.com since it was the cheapest ($218 shipped) place I've looked with reasonable shipping and handling fees. Ordered it on a Sunday, arrived at my doorsteps on Friday via UPS Ground.

I hit a few snags installing the thing. The site where I read the instructions said install time was about an hour...Well, being the skilled handy man that I am , it took this idiot 2 hours! First, the carpet was wedged underneath the tailgate guide (black plastic thing below the latch) so I had to loosen that to remove the carpet. Second, the instructions called for a 3/8 drill bit, but the rivnut would not fit in the hole. I had to make the hole a little bigger by moving the drill around. Third, the instructions suggested using a corrosion inhibitor after drilling. I went to a few dealerships before starting the installation looking for the part they recommended, but no one had it. One dealership had a quart size container, but I was only using an ounce, so I ended up going to an auto store and just buying automotive primer. Finally, one of the parts of the trunk still had the cap on the hole where the screw was supposed to go, so I had to use a utility knife to cut it open. Besides those 4 problems, everything else went well. I don't know if it's important to have the trunk leveled, but I'm so anal I spent more time adjusting it. I was struggling to work around the rear window, not realizing I could have easily taken it off until an hour into the installation.

The trunk looks and feels sturdy, but the locks securing the flip top looks flimsy. The install was fairly easy. trust me, if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can do it! Overall, I recommend this trunk if you need to secure a few things (like my clover patch and cab cover when not in use) and want the option to remove and fold it easily if needed. I don't know if you want pics, but someone already took photos of their trunk.

Last edited by Tommy3rd; 04-13-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i opted for the bestop instatrunk because i needed something more secure. but both trunks work great. probably the best mod i've done yet because i can lock stuff up and feel pretty comfortable with it. i lock up my laptop, guns, etc. most non-jeep owners probably don't even know about the space behind the rear seat and wouldn't think to look there. they'd probably hit the glovebox and console and never even think to look in the back.

anyway, congrats.

Quick Reply: Mopar add-a-trunk install and review