Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My DIY Mirror Solution

Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DIY Mirror Solution

Here is my DIY Mirror Solution using 7/16 threaded rods dropped down into the upper door hinge, which is a nice, snug fit. This 7/16 coarse threaded rod is an uncommon size when it comes to finding washers, lock washers, and nuts. Both the 7/16 rod and the 1-1/4" flat steel came from Home Depot. The mirrors came from Advance Auto and the nylon nuts came from Ace Hardware.

Here is the Bracket Hardware: (7/16 rod, 1-1/4 flat steel, nylon washers, and nylon nuts). There are two styles of nylon nuts here, one is lower profile than the other:

Here is the Mirror from Advance Auto. I bought Chrome and then painted it. I wish I had just bought the ones that were already black but they didn't have any in stock. I'm not sure this painted solution is going to hold up as well. Here are the Mirror Specs. I really like these mirrors as they are adjustable.

First I drilled a 7/16" hole in the middle of the flat steel 7/8" from the end. Next I used my Bench Grinder to Round the corners off of the steel. This prevents it from hitting the side of the JEEP when you move the Mirror Brackets.

Next, for the Driver's side, I measured a line 2" from the end and bent the flat steel just below the mark at a 90 degree bend. I used a 2-1/2 pound hand sledge and hit it low right by the vice to ensure the bend was not "rounded". I did the same thing for the Passenger's side, except I measured a line 3" from the end. This allows the Passenger's Mirror to further clear the dash obstruction problem. I think the 3" is a good length. Here is the unpainted Driver's side Bracket completed:

I then "test mounted" the Unpainted Driver's side Mirror. Gee I like how that reflection makes me look sooooo thin, but I really didn't like the chrome look.

Then I painted both the Brackets and the Mirrors:

Next, I mounted the rod onto or into the Upper Door Hinge. Since I couldn't find any internal-lock washers in 7/16", I had to use these nylon nuts. Just take your time wrenching these things down the treaded rod. I grabbed the threaded rod with a pair of Vise-Grips, not too tight, and then used a ratcheting box end wrench to screw the nut down. At some point, you will need to switch to a traditional open-end wrench. The one I used was 5/8". For the nylon nuts, the ones that go on the door hinge, I used both a nylon washer and then a rubber washer. This is also where I used the taller of the two styles of nylon nuts:

Here is the Driver's Side installed and positioned, then the Passenger's Side:

I added the stick-on 3" fish-eye mirrors too. Believe it or not, you really can see the Passenger's Side Mirror well. Also, there is very little vibration in either mirror.

This is not a fast mod, but so far I'm pleased, but I still might swap out for black plastic mirrors if the paint doesn't hold up. Enjoy!!

Last edited by Sunburst-Kid; 04-29-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Looks great! Was there a reason why you made the brackets so long?
Yes, but now that it's finished, I agree they could be shorter. They are 7" bend-to-bend. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of room to adjust them up or down. I ended up with them adjusted up. Also, if they are too short, then it makes getting them in and out of the vise a bit more difficult. But again, they would probably work just fine at like 4 - 5" tall. Thanks...
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

Great solution. I love the look with the black spray!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dburgette
Great solution. I love the look with the black spray!
I used Rust-oleum Black Hammered "rattle can". It's hard to get it off of your hands, but it sticks to the mirrors well.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

I stuck those fish eye mirrors on the driver and passenger side air vents. I can still spin them around and hide them if I want.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

its a nice idea. Looks solid. the only thing i'd say is the brackets do look really big. It But good job either way.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Pretty cool. And they look like they would fold nicely if a tree pushed them around.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bracket sizes

First off; thanks for the feedback as that is what this post and this forum is all about!!

In this first build, I cut the 7/16" threaded rod at 8" in length. Then I bent the 1-1/4 flat steel so there is 7" between the bends. The 1" difference gave me "wiggle room" in getting the Mirror Bracket over and onto the threaded rod. The 8" of treaded rod gave me "wiggle room" for having the mirrors raised or lowered overall.

Now that said, I do agree that they should have been shorter. I would recommend that the 7/16" threaded rod get cut to 5" in length and the flat steel would need to be 4" between the bends. This might make it a little bit tighter working with it, but (again I agree) it will be a bit cleaner look.

Who knows, maybe I will re-do mine. All it takes is another piece of flat steel, a new 7/16" drill bit (mine got very tired going thru that steel) and a few more beers.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Nice mod...very creative and functional
Old 04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's why I like looking at other people's mods, you can take what you like about what they did and either improve upon it or make it fit your tastes more.

To OP, good job

Quick Reply: My DIY Mirror Solution