Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My door storage solution ... "DOOR TREE"

Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My door storage solution ... "DOOR TREE"

I had this idea about 4 months ago and finnally got it done ... looking for parts and thinking what would work best and waiting for a semi nice day. Lots of wheelin and dealin went on and the whole thing cost me about $20 for paint ( John Deer Green ), O-rings and the 3/4" x 3' rod ( from Lowes ) that I drilled out with a 7/16" drill bit ( drilled it on a speed lathe so the holes would be centered and straight).
The 4" x 4" x 4' center post I got off a friend of mine, he charged me $50,000 fake dollars for pokerstars (he's not too good at poker ... I won it back off of him within a week) and the steel I used for the legs was cut from a scrap piece that my friend that welded it had lying around.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

It sat in the basement for a few weeks, waiting for a nice day that I wasn't stuck at work, so I painted it before I had a chance to test it out.
These are the 2 problems I had :
1. The bottom pin on the door hit the post and wouldn't line up with the hole.
FIX : ground about 1/16" off of the post ( where the black tape is in the next pics). I had felt there incase I hit the door against the post taking them on and off, the tape works for now.
2. The 7/16" holes I drilled shrunk when we welded.
FIX : Had a 7/16" bit long enough to drill out top holes then down to bottom holes, no room to get a short bit straight enough to drill bottom holes out.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Pull mirrors in so they fit closer together and I put a velcro strap thru the door handles so the don't swing around.
pat. pend.

Last edited by BJeepJK; 04-05-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's awesome You could patent and sell that
Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

WOW.... now thats PERFECT.

you could make a million on those.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Thank, how about you buy this one for "a million" then you'll be right ... and i'll have 1,000,000 bucks ... lol.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about adding some wheels so it is easier to move around when putting the doors on and taking them off. You could wheel it to each door that way then into the garage or whatever after. Great job!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepnxj3
how about adding some wheels so it is easier to move around when putting the doors on and taking them off. You could wheel it to each door that way then into the garage or whatever after. Great job!

That's what I was gonna say. That and make it a little lower to be more tip-resistant. That would be one expensive tip-over!!!!

Nice work.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepnxj3

ya i was about to say, that looks awesome and all but when it comes time to pick that up (awkward scenario number 1) and walk it into the garage (awkward number 2) i'd be a little shy to volunteer myself... lol. Really though, good work!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

I didn't add wheels because they would make it unsturdy, I put the heavist door on it 1st and its not going anywhere. If I added wheels i'd have to make the legs longer then somebody could trip over it and it would get in the way. I cleared out a spot in the garage for it and plan on leaving it there, I only have to carry the doors about 15 feet ... I can handle that.

I only had it in the drive way to get better pics. I don't plan on picking the whole thing up with the doors on it.

On a side note, this is post #500 ... I'm a freak ......Weeeeeee

Last edited by BJeepJK; 04-05-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice work, that's a great idea. Don't know how long it took to make, but if you felt like making more of them, I'm sure you'd have no problem selling them.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Major props!!! Great idea.

Quick Reply: My door storage solution ... "DOOR TREE"