Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My Hood Lock - No keys in grill

Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FzyPchz
DBB888, great work as usual! I'm still waiting for you to do a write-up for some nifty door stops (similar to the tailgate shock mod)
You know FzyPchz- I was working on the door project the weekend I said I was going to think about it.

I bought some test shocks with special extended adapters and came to the conclusion that a shock will not work unless the inside car bracket mount stuck out about 3 inches. Wouldn't look right.

So Im thinking of a sealed spring that attaches to the in between the door and door frame held on by some type of puck cup. This way its easy for a spring to compress then a shock.

I didn't give up on this yet.

Im actually working on heated seats this weekend. I bought a kit and I have to bring the JK in to an upholsterer to take the seat covers off and place the carbon fiber heating pads in. I tried and gave up- need special fabric tools and staplersI don't have those.

I'll have him take pictures while he does it. Buddy of mine.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Heated Seats?!?!
DBB888, I'm glad this is your hobby! We all benefit...
Semper Fidelis
Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt P
Heated Seats?!?!
DBB888, I'm glad this is your hobby! We all benefit...
Semper Fidelis
Yup- Its getting cold out in NJ now. He's just putting the pads in and Im wiring everything up myself.

Not sure where I want the switches yet. Also going to install a remote start. Need that too..heehee
Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DBB888
That latch is still spring loaded. Once you pull it to open it, it will still extend back out thus leaving you having to pull it closed for the hood to close. Plus you still need a cable to mount on that latch some how to pull it from the inside of the car.
I know its spring loaded, but thanks to the angle cut into the latch you do not need to pull it back to close it. The bolt will actomatically be pushed in when the hood is closed. I've used them in projects for work and I think it will work nicely assuming I can feed the pull wire into the cab. I just started thinking about this so I'm going to take a closer look under the hood after work today for a good mounting location and a way to attach the pull wire.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DBB888
Yup- Its getting cold out in NJ now. He's just putting the pads in and Im wiring everything up myself.

Not sure where I want the switches yet. Also going to install a remote start. Need that too..heehee
When I did mine, the only specials tools I needed were some hog ring pliers and some spare hog rings.

I stuck my switches on the center console between the cup holders and the gear shift. I think it looks pretty clean.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duma3421
I know its spring loaded, but thanks to the angle cut into the latch you do not need to pull it back to close it. The bolt will actomatically be pushed in when the hood is closed. I've used them in projects for work and I think it will work nicely assuming I can feed the pull wire into the cab. I just started thinking about this so I'm going to take a closer look under the hood after work today for a good mounting location and a way to attach the pull wire.
Ok I see what your talking about. The cable that I bought came with the angle cut bracket, but it was way to tall for the location I used and the dept of what I had to work with was 1/2 inch.

plus the rail I mounted it on wouldn't fit the latch you chose unless I placed it closer to the center.

Quick Reply: My Hood Lock - No keys in grill