Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My Insulated Headliner Project

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great idea!!! Looks like a good use for old books (to hold down while glue dries...) lol
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I had to think long and hard how to get some use outta those college books

It was a fun project. If I had to do it again I would research adhesives better.

Originally Posted by JeepTrav
That is a great idea!!! Looks like a good use for old books (to hold down while glue dries...) lol
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HotHead Headliners Sale

Only 6 days left to get %15 off 2 and 4 door JK headliner kits.
www.hotheadheadliners.com
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

I figured I would dig this thread up being that I am in the process of doing some makeshift ones myself

A couple of questions for ya

1. did you notice an even more of a decrease in temperature when ya did the double layers of insulation? Or did you feel just one layer was suffice?

2. does is matter which side of the insulation faces the roof? The bubble side? or the smoother shinier side

I appreciate the help

Alfy
Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ride_My_Jeep
I figured I would dig this thread up being that I am in the process of doing some makeshift ones myself

A couple of questions for ya

1. did you notice an even more of a decrease in temperature when ya did the double layers of insulation? Or did you feel just one layer was suffice?

2. does is matter which side of the insulation faces the roof? The bubble side? or the smoother shinier side

I appreciate the help

Alfy
I ended up doing double layers right up front, to match the thickness/ reveal of the contours of the top. So I don't have a comparison between one or two layers. I just know I don't have hot head anymore, and my other friends notice it as well.

The stuff I used was foil lined on both sides of the bubbles, so not much help there either. However I know that the foil side should be closest to the source of the heat if the stuff you have only has one side that has foil.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
I ended up doing double layers right up front, to match the thickness/ reveal of the contours of the top. So I don't have a comparison between one or two layers. I just know I don't have hot head anymore, and my other friends notice it as well.

The stuff I used was foil lined on both sides of the bubbles, so not much help there either. However I know that the foil side should be closest to the source of the heat if the stuff you have only has one side that has foil.
Thanks, Actually I went a different route and might be somewhat different than yours

I went to my local auto parts store and bought that metallic like sun shade that goes on the windshield of the car that keeps the heat out

One side has the round circles but smooth, the other side has with the round circles but puffed... I would assume that puffed side would go to the source correct? Not really sure

heres a quick pic... left side flat with round circles, right side round circles puffed..

Any ideas?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ride_My_Jeep
Thanks, Actually I went a different route and might be somewhat different than yours

I went to my local auto parts store and bought that metallic like sun shade that goes on the windshield of the car that keeps the heat out

One side has the round circles but smooth, the other side has with the round circles but puffed... I would assume that puffed side would go to the source correct? Not really sure

heres a quick pic... left side flat with round circles, right side round circles puffed..

Any ideas?

Since both sides are reflective you can use either towards the source. However to have more surface to surface contact between the insulation and the top, I would put the puffy looking side to the source, as you are thinking.

Good luck with it, I am happy with mine thus far.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great this is next on my list how is the bedliner doing ?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdryanhall
Looks great this is next on my list how is the bedliner doing ?
Thanks, the bedliner has been great. I have not noticed any scratches in it, and I put a lot of crap in the back rubbing up against it when going camping.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Nice job, one day I'll get around to doing mine. I don't like the factory white insides.

Quick Reply: My Insulated Headliner Project