Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Poisin Spider Rico Steps

Old 08-06-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison Spider Rico Steps

My rig came with a set of Smittybilt SRC Side Armor.. it was the last piece of negotiation with the dealer.. okay, throw in a set of side steps and you have a deal.. I soon came to hate them. The hang down real far and the three pipes looked like they were begging to grab one of my daughters legs and mangle it.

When I took them off I decided I liked the clean look without them and I really only needed a step when putting the top and on. I searched for a set of used Rubi Rails, just to have a finished look on the pinch seam but over six months looking and not a single set of two rails surfaced. So I bought a set of JKU rails and cut them down to size... fit perfect.

But the spouse and daughter declared it a failure and demanded true steps.

I decided to add the Poison Spider Customs Rico Steps.. These are a DIY kit consisting of the outer pipe and laser cut steps and gussets. That's it. No instructions. No pictures to follow.... just a bunch of metal.

It took a little time to figure out which way I wanted the pipe and step to face.. the pipe has a different taper front and back and the step is asymmetrical as well. So after an hour or so of mocking it up I marked the rails and steps so I could reconstruct it the setup.

The front and rear gussets are asymmetrical also. Again, no instructions as to which is front and which is back. One set didn't really match the contour of the pipe bends no matter which way I put it, so I cut it down a little so it fit better.

Install day.. first step is to strip all the powder coating in and near the spots that are going to be welded or it will contaminate the welds. Mock it back up and tack them in place. Not much to show in pics.. the welding is pretty straight forward.

Cleaned and setup ready for welding...

Spot welded in place

About three hours of welding, cleaned up some of the welds and spatter and three coats of Duplicolor Bed Armor (not liner) and they are good to go.

I love them.

They aren't quite as rock solid as a heavier step since the Rubi Rails weren't designed for downward forces, but they do the job. I don't do any rock crawling or sliding so the rail and step don't need to be much beafier than this. I am no dropping the cab on them any time soon. I do plan to add a few extra tabs on them, from the rail to body mount bolts just because I like to weld.

There are more pictures here and here....

Last edited by MikekiM; 08-06-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Nice job. Looks good.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Who makes your side mirrors??
Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

That would be me... sort of..

They started life as Cipa CJ mirrors.. the rest I fab'd up..

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...6/#post3117041
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good Job Mike!!! They look great.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why bag on the SRC rails? I love mine..
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nick-NY
Good Job Mike!!! They look great.
Thanks Nick.. I already have to revisit the finish.. There are lots of nooks and crannies where the bed armor didn't reach and already I see spots that will eventually rust. I picked up a brush and primer to hit those spots.

Originally Posted by Jeeper'08
Why bag on the SRC rails? I love mine..
Hated those rails. My rig purpose built for beach use.. big lift isn't a benefit. The SRC's looked too bottom heavy. More importantly, the three tubes looked like a trap for my daughter to catch and mangle a leg in. Last.. they are a dime-a-dozen.

Quick Reply: Poisin Spider Rico Steps