Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Portable CB Power and 12V Outlet Upgrade

Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable CB Power and 12V Outlet Upgrade

This is a two-for-one deal.

Part 1: I wanted to make my CB portable so I bought a heavy duty 12v extension cord from West Marine:

Attachment 10063

I removed the receptacle from the cord and spliced the cord into my CB, making for a nice, heavy-duty power cord that allows me to put the CB away when not in use.

Attachment 10065

The Uniden 520 CB fits perfectly alongside the passenger seat and is held in place only by friction. I'm really please with how this turned out.

Attachment 10066

Last edited by Roxster; 04-19-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Part 2: as a bonus, I used the receptacle from the extension cord as a heavy duty replacement for the one located in the dash by the factory. The existing hole is slightly too small, but a light filing or sanding quickly resolves this.

I ran a 16 gauge power lead directly from my accessory fuse block to improve the quality and capacity of the power supplied to the outlet. The rubber housing from the new receptacle does a fine job of securing the new outlet, but I added a couple of zip ties for extra security.

Here's the final result after reassembly:

Attachment 10070

Last edited by Roxster; 04-19-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Do find the CB stays put when the passenger adjusts his seat?

Do you get a lot of hum or interference with this setup?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I'll have to try adjusting the seat with the radio in place, but it slides easily into its place so it would be a big deal to pull it out when you need to adjust the seat. I don't have any significant noise or hum, but that's with the radio plugged into my newly-rewired outlet, which is supplied directly from the battery. I'm still trying to get the radio and antenna tuned to my liking though, as I'm dealing with high SWR readings. I've been trouble shooting grounds, cable, etc., but I made the poor decision to buy a 2' fiberglass antenna. I just ordered a 3' Wilson flex antenna, so by next weekend I hope to have this sorted out.

Quick Reply: Portable CB Power and 12V Outlet Upgrade