Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear Wiper Assembly Removal

Old 01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rear Wiper Assembly Removal

Removed the rear wiper assembly from my Jeep today and decided to take a few pictures. These may help guide someone who is servicing these parts.

Start off by removing the back cover which snaps in place. One simply pulls on it and it comes off.

With the plastic cover off, you will now have access to the motor housing itself. There is one nut (left) and one bolt (right) that hold the motor to the glass. You will want to loosen these but not completely remove them. You'll also need to unplug the electrical connector and pull off the hose at the "L" fitting.

This cover simply pulls off.

It will expose this nut which will need to be removed in order to separate the wiper arm from the motor.

Now, the arm is made of metal and is pressed on to a spindle with splines on it. I tried to pry these apart with a screwdriver with no success (note damaged boot). What I ended up doing was using a gear puller to separate the two. When using a gear puller, be careful not to damage the delicate brass tube inside that connects the washer nozzle. One can avert this by pulling off the nozzle.

Remove the plastic boot and unscrew this nut.

The motor housing will now be loose and easily removable. You will now have two holes in the window. The bottom plug can be re-used to cover up the smaller hole by removing the captured nut and grommet from the housing. You will however need to put a plug in the other larger hole. Plugs are readily available at harware stores in the electrical section.

Tools used & finished product.

Last edited by Incognito; 01-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile More Pictures...

Here's the arm & wiper assembly. Notice how it comes apart. It simply snaps in place.

Here's the (mangled) nozzle. It will come off by pulling outward on it.

Here you can see how the arm corresponds with the spindle, and the washer nozzle attachment.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Any idea if you can remove the gray area so it's just a clear view?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack

Yes, that.

I could see removing it for a better view (especially since I never use a rear wiper anyway), but if the view is not any better I dont really see any point in removing it.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dont think you'd be able to remove the gray area without also damaging the rear defroster(grid)......if you dont care about the defroster then it's a go. Just use a razor and scrape the whole damn thing off (you would have to remove the wiring from the grid of defroster also)...it is a thin paper like substance.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool thread. I wish I had spotted it a bit earlier.

I have a question regarding the wiper blade part (looks like it separates from the main arm). Would it be possible to get a smaller wiper. I've made some customizations near my tailgate and as a result I can no longer use the wiper. I need about an inch of clearance at the bottom (during full wiper travel) so a wiper blade 2 inches smaller should do the trick.

I see that the wiper attaches with a pin to clips on the main arm. Any idea if a wiper from another vehicle (Ford, Mercedes etc) would just clip in? I'm sure the manufacturers have a common supplier any way.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
No, you can't. Its etched into the glass.

Originally Posted by olyelr
I could see removing it for a better view (especially since I never use a rear wiper anyway), but if the view is not any better I dont really see any point in removing it.
Coming from driving commercial trucks most of my earlier life, I became accustomed to just using the sideviews. I find rearview mirrors to be distracting. The rearview mirror was sold on e-Bay along with the rear wiper assembly, both of which I found to be completely useless. The rear window is easier to clean now and lighter in weight with the assembly removed.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CBrNoMore
Cool thread. I wish I had spotted it a bit earlier.

I have a question regarding the wiper blade part (looks like it separates from the main arm). Would it be possible to get a smaller wiper. I've made some customizations near my tailgate and as a result I can no longer use the wiper. I need about an inch of clearance at the bottom (during full wiper travel) so a wiper blade 2 inches smaller should do the trick.

I see that the wiper attaches with a pin to clips on the main arm. Any idea if a wiper from another vehicle (Ford, Mercedes etc) would just clip in? I'm sure the manufacturers have a common supplier any way.
----------------------------------------

Wanted to chime in on this as we just bought a 2008 JKUR and the back wiper was coming apart. When i went to remove the wiper assembly to replace the blade (bought from the dealer for $19) the wiper broke. Returned the refill and talked to the dealer about a replacement. You cannot just replace the wiper, you have to replace the whole arm $62!! There had to be a better solution. I went to O'Reilly auto parts and they didn't even show a replacement for the rear in the computer system. We discussed what the issue was and they carry a Trico ExactFit (rear blade) factory replacement for different vehicles. There are 3 versions 14-a, 14-b and 14-d. The different part numbers are different connection types. $10.49 each!. I bought all 3 versions. after looking at the wiper arm and the connection the 14-D fit perfect! The orig was a 13" but the 14 fits without issues. I had to share!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I've been trying to find a replacement rear nozzle for my '11 Rubicon. All I can find is a UK eBay seller that doesn't ship to the US. Up till now I thought the nozzle wasn't available as a separate part, but evidently it is. Does anyone know of a US source for this part?
Rear Washer Jet Nozzle Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 models | eBay

Last edited by scottz; 09-09-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Digging up an old thread to say thanks for the info. I removed my wiper and motor assembly over the weekend. I did not need a puller. The wiper arm came off with some effort but not too bad.

I have a temporary plug in the opening, but I'm still looking for a really good option.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Assembly Removal