Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great write up!!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 AM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I resurrect this? I did the same wiring as the OP, and while I do not get a flicker when I turn them off, I actually get a flicker when I am driving - and it doesn't seem to happen til I leave the neighborhood, aka am going over 25mph. I find this very odd and don't see other people mentioning it so I can't figure out why it's happening. Any advice or guesses, anyone?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KMM
Can I resurrect this? I did the same wiring as the OP, and while I do not get a flicker when I turn them off, I actually get a flicker when I am driving - and it doesn't seem to happen til I leave the neighborhood, aka am going over 25mph. I find this very odd and don't see other people mentioning it so I can't figure out why it's happening. Any advice or guesses, anyone?
Where is power coming from for the fog lights?

Battery, factory fog power, or a switched relay?

Switched relay or battery powered, I would guess something wrong with lights or wiring connection.

If wired from original fog light wiring, that's your problem
Old 06-08-2015, 05:15 PM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cormac827
Where is power coming from for the fog lights?

Battery, factory fog power, or a switched relay?

Switched relay or battery powered, I would guess something wrong with lights or wiring connection.

If wired from original fog light wiring, that's your problem
Appreciate the reply! So I started with the simplest explanation and re-checked my connections. They seemed good, but I re-did them anyway because hey - that's free. Just got back from a test drive and all seems to be going well. Definitely going to be more careful/thorough with my wiring in the future!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

This was helpful however the set I bought did not come with a relay. According to the store this is the new way they come. Kind of crappy Rigid Industries. So I bought a relay from my local auto parts store. I just wanted to give the relay wire number and where they go for those that purchase the new set and want to put a relay in. First thing to do is separate the 2 sets of wires. There will be one set going to the fog lights and the other set goes to the supplied switch. They are connected by a black band and ground fitting that would have gone to the supplied switch.

Pin 30- Connect this pin to the + battery terminal using the supplied fused red wire.
Pin 86- Connect to the orange/white wire from the factory fog light harness.
Pin 85- Connect this to black wire from the factory wiring harness. This is in with the the orange/white.
Pin 87- Connect this to the red wire on the supplied Rigid Industries wire harness going to the fog lights.
Last ground the Rigid fog lights using the black wire from the supplied fog light harness to - battery terminal. This black is attached to the red fused wire attached to the + battery terminal.

I did not put wire color coming off the relay because the one I got the wire colors where all screwed up. The relay I got had red as the ground, black as the power and the list keeps going.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

THANKS.. I am installing Delta Bumper XENON 55W Driving Lights this weekend.. Appreciate your work, this is what I sought.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but I wired my Rigid Sae Fogs up just now with these wiring instructions and it works perfectly. I used the JK fog mounts from Rigid as well. The lights work with my with the factory switch just like new and my kit included the same wiring harness as pictured in the original post. This is a great guide.
I'd recommend this kit and wiring instructions to anyone who wants an easy fog upgrade.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pimphand
I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but I wired my Rigid Sae Fogs up just now with these wiring instructions and it works perfectly. I used the JK fog mounts from Rigid as well. The lights work with my with the factory switch just like new and my kit included the same wiring harness as pictured in the original post. This is a great guide.
I'd recommend this kit and wiring instructions to anyone who wants an easy fog upgrade.
Wow, I have NOT been keeping up with this thread (sorry to everyone who asked a question that I didn't reply to).

I'm glad it's been helpful to some!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave up tring to get the factory switch to work with my d2 foglights. I tried everything to get them to work correctly. I wired them up directly and they would flicker when off, looked like strobes. I tried relays on both and the power switch from the oem just to trigger the relays and they would make a buzzing sound from the relays. Just wouldn't work with any use of the oem power supply through the computer, tpim.. or whatever. Now I can't speak of installing resistors or capacitors, just not familiar enough to know what works or how.

So I just installed the Spod and it works perfectly fine. Easy install and options to add more stuff later. Not the less expensive option, but the easiest and quickest with no fuss or hassel.

This is just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And that about sums it up. Some guys have problems with flickering and some don't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'm kind of leaning toward it being a particular type of relay, as in cheap vs. expensive, but who knows. Could also be early vs. late JKs. Haven't found a pattern just yet.

Quick Reply: Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay