Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rubi rail mini flaps

Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi rail mini flaps

I've read and implemented so many great ideas from the forum, its hard to find new things to contribute. Here's my small contribution--

Problem: small rocks and gravel, from road and trail, get stuck in between Rubicon rock rails and the body. Not really an immediate issue, but over time they'll just wear through the paint and give rust a place to start. Mudflaps are effective, but I find them ugly and frankly they can get caught-up on rocks, etc.

Solution: mini mudflaps. They're pretty much invisible at casual glance, but keep the little rocks from flying up and settling behind the Rubi rail. They're not so much a mudflap for the Jeep as they are just a flap for the Rubi rail.

Its a pretty simple and inexpensive project. Necessary supplies: One 12x19 rubber heavy-duty mudflap and some 3/4" self-tapping screws with washers.

Instructions: Cut the mudflap into 4 equal rectangles and position each piece so that the rounded original corner is the outside/down corner when on the Jeep. I removed each wheel to have full access and ability to use a power screwdriver. Position each miniflap so that it just barely (1/4") extends below the Rubi rail. I placed the flap 2 1/2" to the outside of the rail in the front, 1 1/4" to the outside of the rail in the rear. Then put 4 screws through the front miniflap (3 on top, one down to the side to hold it from flapping), and into the inside plastic of the fender. I only found I needed 3 on the rear, but moved the third inside screw down a bit. The screws should not be tightened much as they'll strip in the plastic. They go through the fender and into an open cavity behind, so they are not seen.

I've been running them for 6 months through winter weather and haven't had one rock find its way behind the rail. Driving through deep snow did not cause problems as the bottom of the flap can pull away from the endcap of the rail without pulling the flap off the Jeep.

Photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	39937

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	39938

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	39939

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	39936
Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh I was just noticing that yesterday when cleaning mine up. I was thinking of using a piece of the fender when I cut mine. Good thinkin'
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to figure out something about this, and this sounds like just what I've been trying to come up with. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rubi rail mini flaps