Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rubicon Locker By-pass --- Off Road Engineering's kit

Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I meant to say brain fart...stupid auto correct...lol
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greggnj
Just out of curiosity, does the factory locker switch still work also? Seems like you didn't cut any wires, just tapped in, so I guess it should?

I havnt tested it yet to see, but as stated early, yes they should still operate as they did before the switches were added.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by olyelr
I thought about puting the switches here on this panel (at the spare locations), but it is not really possible as there is one big electric device behind it...

First of all thanks for the write up, I can't wait to do this mod! Having the lockers available in all drive train modes will be awesome!

Without taking my dash apart, are you POSITIVE there isnt a way to put these on the spare switches?? It's a shame that we wouldnt be able to use them...isnt that why they are there???
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKLarson
Without taking my dash apart, are you POSITIVE there isnt a way to put these on the spare switches?? It's a shame that we wouldnt be able to use them...isnt that why they are there???
Two of those blanks are for heated seats, not sure about the other two. Problem is there is a circuit board behind the panel that the switches connect to.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKLarson
First of all thanks for the write up, I can't wait to do this mod! Having the lockers available in all drive train modes will be awesome!

Originally Posted by greggnj
Two of those blanks are for heated seats, not sure about the other two. Problem is there is a circuit board behind the panel that the switches connect to.

Exactly. That entire switch panel is one piece, which is screwed into the dash with to small screws on the back side. It is easily removable, but basically all one solid unit (there is only one wire plug connected to the entire board). My guess is there is some type of circuit board behind the entire setup, but Im not sure. If not, I supose you could drill completely through the unused areas and put switches there, but they are also roughly 1/2"-3/4" thick which could mess with you too.

I played around with it for a while in an attempt to put them there. It almost felt like the each individual plastic square was separate from the other, but I could not figure out how to get them apart.

Also, if you dabble in wiring at all, you could look into simply buying the parts yourself and save probably $60 or more. There was just no way in hell I could have done this without a kit, so I went this route.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by olyelr
Exactly. That entire switch panel is one piece, which is screwed into the dash with to small screws on the back side. It is easily removable, but basically all one solid unit (there is only one wire plug connected to the entire board). My guess is there is some type of circuit board behind the entire setup, but Im not sure. If not, I supose you could drill completely through the unused areas and put switches there, but they are also roughly 1/2"-3/4" thick which could mess with you too.

I played around with it for a while in an attempt to put them there. It almost felt like the each individual plastic square was separate from the other, but I could not figure out how to get them apart.

Also, if you dabble in wiring at all, you could look into simply buying the parts yourself and save probably $60 or more. There was just no way in hell I could have done this without a kit, so I went this route.
Bummer! Thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

I have not backed the Jeep out of the garage in almomst a week now Its nice having a company vehicle and keeping the miles off of the Jeep, but it sucks not ever driving it.

Hopefully I will have a real word test/review in the near future.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Well, the first wheeling trip out they worked flawlessly. Time and time again.

Thanks Off Road Engineering!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a spod and want to add the locker override to it. My question how would I run the wires?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4005545340.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	384069  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by calys003
I have a spod and want to add the locker override to it. My question how would I run the wires?

Whats a spod?

Quick Reply: Rubicon Locker By-pass --- Off Road Engineering's kit