Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rubicon shocks

Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubicon shocks

Is there away or numbers to know which Rubi shocks came off a 2 dr or four door, i know the 4 dr shocks can be install on a 2 dr giving it a slight lift, i have a guy selling 4 rubi shocks but i want to make sure is off a 4 door, any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicksabellajk
Is there away or numbers to know which Rubi shocks came off a 2 dr or four door, i know the 4 dr shocks can be install on a 2 dr giving it a slight lift, i have a guy selling 4 rubi shocks but i want to make sure is off a 4 door, any help would be appreciated.
Shocks ? I think you mean springs the 4dr springs will give you a slight lift when installed on a 2dr. The numbers on the shocks should be 18/59 if I remember correctly. last number is 18 in front and 59 in back.

I did read a long thread before and the "Rubicon" shocks that are red. no one could find any definitive difference between them and the Sahara shocks, but the valving was never tested so they could be 'different'.

I've seen threads that some guys got upwards of 1"-2" out of the spring/shock swap.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are referring to springs, not shocks. The red rubicon shocks may give a slightly better ride than the black sports, but they won't give you any lift. 2 door and 4 door shocks are the same. As far as gaining lift from the springs, I would get 17 fronts and 58 rears minimum (highest they come is 19/60). Look at your coil springs and see what the last 2 numbers are on the white tags. Hope this helps.

I have some 17/58 springs from a 2013 rubi unlimited if you're interested.

edit: ^ you beat me to it :p
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Yes you are right, the springs is what give the two dr a little lift, i just wanted to know if there was a difference between the 2 dr and 4 dr rubi shocks because of the difference in weight between the 4 dr and 2 dr. I just want to rrplace the black ones on my 4 dr sport.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nicksabellajk
Yes you are right, the springs is what give the two dr a little lift, i just wanted to know if there was a difference between the 2 dr and 4 dr rubi shocks because of the difference in weight between the 4 dr and 2 dr. I just want to rrplace the black ones on my 4 dr sport.
I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 or so for them unless yours are shot anyways. I made the swap at like 2000 miles when i was stock and can't say i really felt that much of a difference. Certainly not a bad swap to do, just don't spend an arm and a leg with high expectations.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202

I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 or so for them unless yours are shot anyways. I made the swap at like 2000 miles when i was stock and can't say i really felt that much of a difference. Certainly not a bad swap to do, just don't spend an arm and a leg with high expectations.
Thanks for the information.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweakecho

Shocks ? I think you mean springs the 4dr springs will give you a slight lift when installed on a 2dr. The numbers on the shocks should be 18/59 if I remember correctly. last number is 18 in front and 59 in back.

I did read a long thread before and the "Rubicon" shocks that are red. no one could find any definitive difference between them and the Sahara shocks, but the valving was never tested so they could be 'different'.

I've seen threads that some guys got upwards of 1"-2" out of the spring/shock swap.
Rubi shocks are about 1 1/2" longer than the Sahara shocks so you will have a little more flex when disconnected.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cobb_Sahara
Rubi shocks are about 1 1/2" longer than the Sahara shocks so you will have a little more flex when disconnected.
Nope pretty sure mine were exactly same length. Sport and Saharah shocks are the same.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ubicon-224940/
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202

Nope pretty sure mine were exactly same length. Sport and Saharah shocks are the same.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ubicon-224940/
Yes, the "Rubicon" red rear shocks are an 1" longer than the black sport or Sahara shocks. I put them on my 2012 Sahara directly from my brothers 2012 Rubicon. The ride improved dramatically, no more body roll or nose dives. The 19/60 springs helped too

Last edited by Tripletsi; 05-21-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Yes, the "Rubicon" red rear shocks are an 1" longer than the black sport or Sahara shocks. I put them on my 2012 Sahara directly from my brothers 2012 Rubicon. The ride improved dramatically, no more body roll or nose dives. The 19/60 springs helped too
Yeah the springs probably had a much bigger role in stopping the body roll than the shocks. I didn't notice much difference when i swapped for rubi shocks

Quick Reply: Rubicon shocks