Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rugged Ridge Headlight Guards

Old 08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Headlight Guards

Got these today!! They are pretty easy to install once you know the trick.

1) Remove grill
2) Remove stock metal headlight bezel by taking off the 4 Torx T-15 screws.
3) NOT IN DIRECTIONS BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
**Using vice grips or pliers (put a rag or towel over the guard to keep from scratching it), gently bend the inside of the headlight guard up to open it a bit more. They are WAY too tight, and I couldn't get them on any other way!!!

*** The way they say to do it is to use the 4 screws to "pull" it on the headlight. DON'T!!! The threads are plastic on the headlight mount, they will rip out!!!
4) Then fit the headlight and guard back in the mount and re-install the 4 screws.
5) Replace grill.

Last edited by armycop; 08-31-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SWEEEEET! Looks great!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

nice!! now i think i'll get a set as well...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those look great!!! I just ordered a set based on your thread (GOOD JOB ) Thanks also for step #3, I would've ripped my plastic knowing me
Old 08-31-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

armycop, you weren't kidding...the fit is terrible (it's totally impossible to slip the guards over the headlight)! I tried used pliers to open up the ring as you suggested, but ended up scratching some of the paint off... I will repaint them before I install 'em.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FzyPchz
armycop, you weren't kidding...the fit is terrible (it's totally impossible to slip the guards over the headlight)! I tried used pliers to open up the ring as you suggested, but ended up scratching some of the paint off... I will repaint them before I install 'em.
Yeah, I should have said put a rag or towel over the guard before bending with the pliers!!! I edited my thread.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default unsuccessful...

my attempt to install the euro guards was unsuccessful...I was able to install one of them (after an hour of bending and coaxing), but the other broke on 2 of the weld points of the actual guards itself of course now it's too f**ked up for me to return to quadratec...I will just plan on maybe having them re-welded in the future...now my hands hurt from the damn things... I honestly couldn't recommend this product to anyone.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn you Armycop, just when I started to slow down on my purchases, you throw this out there. Let me go make yet another order from quadratec now. Hard thing is gonna be deciding between black or stainless steel.

Last edited by zero2krazy; 09-02-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Grant211
I am tempted to get these.... How are they holding up?
Mine are holding up fine, no problems after I got them on. Installation was the only problem because they are so tight.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi

If you try to shove the guards on the headlights, the bars will break off. You have to set the guards on the headlight and use some type of pliers to squeeze the guard on the headlight using the rim of the guard and the lip of the headlight. Make sure you use something to cushion the metal and protect the paint. DO NOT use the screws to try and "pull" the guard on like the instructions say. That will strip the plastic threads on the headlight.

Last edited by armycop; 01-04-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Headlight Guards