Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Silverstar Headlight Upgrade/Replacement Write-Up

Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the Silverstars for about a year now. Much better than stock. But for those of you with 2010 and newer JK's, keep in mind that our fogs are different from 2009 and earlier JK's.

There are currently no aftermarket fog bulbs that are plug and play. If you want better fogs, you pretty much have to re-wire everything (there are a bunch of threads on this). Or ,if you need a replacement bulb, they are difficult to get and you will probably need to go to the dealer and spend $40 for one bulb. I found no auto parts stores that carry the new fog bulbs.

And thanks for the walkthrough on changing out the headlights! I wish my pull tabls still looked like yours! I basically wrecked most fo them the first time I took my grill off. What a pain!!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I wish my pull tabls still looked like yours! I basically wrecked most fo them the first time I took my grill off. What a pain!!
Google "chip extractor". They only cost a few bucks, you can probably find them at your local electroincs supply store, and they work great for pulling out these pull tabs without damaging them.

I found my chip extractor in an old PC repair toolkit of mine from back in the day when RAM came in banks of 9 individual chips, and you needed to use these chip extractors to upgrade your RAM or replace bad chips.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Just did mine thanks for the write up, took me and my brother like 20 mins
Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
... with 2010 and newer JK's, keep in mind that our fogs are different from 2009 and earlier JK's.

There are no aftermarkecurrentlyt fog bulbs that are plug and play. If you want better fogs, you pretty much have to re-wire everything (there are a bunch of threads on this). Or ,if you need a replacement bulb, they are difficult to get and you will probably need to go to the dealer and spend $40 for one bulb...
Thanks for the info on the JK Fog Light bulbs. That just saved me a lot of searching just to have found out there aren't any P&P bulbs.

IMO, as many others, I'd rather replace the bulbs than spend $$$ on HID. Living in a rural mountain area, bulb replacemnent is one of the 1st things on my 2DO list.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know what size fog bulb is used on newer JKs?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got my JK just over a year ago and I couldn't believe how bad the headlights were. I installed the Silverstars, and did a perfect job of adjusting them, if I may say so myself. What a great improvement and inexpensive too. I have no need to do more. And I live in the mountains. I love them.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

i put those bad boys in my fogs (9145) and i must say they are extremely bright. i dont even need my headlights. i only need them when i use my high beams
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timebandit
Does anyone know what size fog bulb is used on newer JKs?
2010's and newer use a bulb with the following number PSX24W. It is some weird GM bulb that Chrysler is now using. PITA to find but I got them through a buddy that works for an auto parts distributor. Got them for me at cost which was $33 or so.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I replaced my headlight and foglight bulbs with silverstars and love it!!! It works great and is a B.I.G. huge improvement over the stock bulbs without doing a headlight conversion/replacement
Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

Pretty sure this just made my todo list

Quick Reply: Silverstar Headlight Upgrade/Replacement Write-Up