Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Sleep-in 2dr jeep build-up

Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i pitch a tent and bring my wife for warmth. sometimes we dont even need a sleeping bag it gets so warm
Old 11-03-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by excrider450
i pitch a tent and bring my wife for warmth.
hey! this is a PG-13 site!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will watch to see what you come up with!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sleep-In Jeep

If you have the 6 disc factory CD/DVD player it plays DVD movies. You would just need to install a playback screen somewhere. There are other threads on this, I'll try to find one...
The headrest would make a good viewing spot for the screen, it's legal and with your setup - it would be closer to your head (and fido's) for those national geographics...
Other wise it sounds like a good setup. Perhaps you could install the platform with a hinge so that it can fold back into the rear when not in use, therefore you do not need to remove it as often. The passenger seat would look really cool mounted on the front bumper as in those African Safari rovers, DOT might have a problem with it on the streets tho :(
If you get a hitch mounted cargo rack you could cut a hole in one end, install a toilet seat and dig a quick hole, viola' = instant potty.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been thinking about trying to make my JK into a one person road tripper for when I need to get away from home with the dog as well. Had a thought but I don't know how to execute it...
I'm sure a front seat from a Patriot wouldn't fit, but with the way that they fold flat to the front, (like in the Honda Fit or the Toyota Matrix) it would be the perfect set-up to not have to pull the front seat each time you go road trippin. With the bed suspended from the roll bars you could fold the seat flat and then lower the bed enough to sleep. I wonder if anyone would make an after market fold flat passenger seat that would fit the JKs... ?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by excrider450
i pitch a tent and bring my wife for warmth. sometimes we dont even need a sleeping bag it gets so warm
No Pics or Vids needed.

But I wish my wife would even consider going along for an outing in the mountains.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

id like to see a mod to get the seats to recline all of the way down to the floor with the rear seats removed. Then you could have 2 beds
Old 11-05-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wgr
http://www.offivaruste.com/catalog/p...ge.php?pID=869

This is a handy often to be with. Can pull 6000LBS+ (3300kg). I used to have winch at front and at rear, then removable to switch bck and forth. But with this you can also make back/side pulls.

I would recommend also you to have OziExplorer installed to your laptop, then scan your maps of areas you are going to visit and you always see easily where you are at. I think these GPS units are not yet up to this what Ozi can do...i mean you can make and store your own offroad tracks and paths to share and use later. Or am i not up to date..are there gps units avail with this feature i would like to know ?

Sorry for being a little off-topic.
Do some research on this guy..

http://www.software-maps.com/magella...n-2000-gps.htm

May not be the best site for info but will get you started.. It does it all..
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Update:
I decided to do a test build.
I bought some cheap materials 4x1, 1/2 plywood and some steel angle.
I was hoping to mock something up that would hold my weight, just to get a feel for how it's going to work out.
Well the test fit went good. I'm going to add a few more braces and take it out for a overnighter thanksgiving weekend.
I might have 50bucks in the platform.
I also bought to padding and carpet(no photos yet).

Just over 7ft long, 41 inches wide in the back 23inches up front.

If the overnighter goes good. The plan will be to build the rear platform out of two drawers about 6 inches deep, 18 inch wide 41 inches long.
The front will be built out of 1inch square tubing and 3/4 inch ply wood.

JD
Check out the pics here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9005
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOW. I really like that. I only wish that that would fit my needs... I can't do without a passenger seat (the old lady might kill me!!)

that's really awsome though... i can't wait to see how it looks when your completely done

Quick Reply: Sleep-in 2dr jeep build-up