Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stock Bumper "Mid-width" chop job with winch plate

Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this link from your post in the stubbie 101 from tinman thread.... nice job dude. I think will finally do it for me. I can see the cuts on the metal bumper parts and the measurements and what to leave. AWESOME!!!!

The only thing I noticed different is the angle or taper of cut between you and tinman. Yours is straight from top to bottom whereas tinmans follows the contour of the crush can bump.... any advantage or disadvantages to each design?

Thanks a ton dude... this will look great.... yep I agree... should've come this way from factory!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpion king
Found this link from your post in the stubbie 101 from tinman thread.... nice job dude. I think will finally do it for me. I can see the cuts on the metal bumper parts and the measurements and what to leave. AWESOME!!!!

The only thing I noticed different is the angle or taper of cut between you and tinman. Yours is straight from top to bottom whereas tinmans follows the contour of the crush can bump.... any advantage or disadvantages to each design?

Thanks a ton dude... this will look great.... yep I agree... should've come this way from factory!

Yes, there is a BIG difference in the straight cut vs following the line of the crush can. The way I did it - you end up keeping the nut-zerts where the bumper "skin" attached to the steel inner bumper frame (4 bolts). If you cut along the crushcan as Tinman did, you will end up cutting off the brass nut-zerts and will have to find another way to attach the bumper skin to the inner steel frame. This is the reason I cut mine the way I did - also, I like the look of it. Hope that helps!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Yes it does... a GREAT deal.... going to start collecting parts and tooling and plan for day to do it now... Thanks a bunch! Looks great!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the great write-up! I decided (nervously) to give it a shot and it turned out great. First time cutting on my 3-week old Rubi but it wasn't too bad, took the better part of the day to complete. Here's some shots:

Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I LOVE this mod!! Just did mine, I used a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade to cut the inner bumper and then just swapped to a wood blade and turned down the speed to cut the plastic part. Worked great!!

Also, I almost missed the part about using those washers, but I'm glad to say I noticed that part right before I went to Home Depot, I really think that adds a tremendous amount of strength! Don't think it would be near as sturdy without them.

Looks great, can't believe I waited so long to do this. The first cut really is the hardest, but look at it this way: If you mess up, there are loads of factory bumpers available on here for cheap or for free.

Haven't bedlinered mine yet, but I like the looks anyway. When I get 10 extra bucks, I'll throw that on too.

Anybody used Rustoleum's bedliner spray? The autoparts store by my house didn't carry duplicolor, which I have heard great things about.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClaytonTheAggie
I LOVE this mod!! Just did mine, I used a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade to cut the inner bumper and then just swapped to a wood blade and turned down the speed to cut the plastic part. Worked great!!

Also, I almost missed the part about using those washers, but I'm glad to say I noticed that part right before I went to Home Depot, I really think that adds a tremendous amount of strength! Don't think it would be near as sturdy without them.

Looks great, can't believe I waited so long to do this. The first cut really is the hardest, but look at it this way: If you mess up, there are loads of factory bumpers available on here for cheap or for free.

Haven't bedlinered mine yet, but I like the looks anyway. When I get 10 extra bucks, I'll throw that on too.

Anybody used Rustoleum's bedliner spray? The autoparts store by my house didn't carry duplicolor, which I have heard great things about.
Great to hear you chopped 'er up! Doesn't your rig look SO much better now!! I actually like the look of my bumper the way it is and am in no rush at all to replace it with a steel bumper...that's how good I think it looks! Post up some pics for us all to see!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for taking the time to post it! I painted the first one with bed-liner and the bed-liner paint started flaking off. So when I smacked the bumper on a waterfall face and ruined it I did this second one. The wife likes the rivets too much so no paint this time.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a picture!

I know, I know... poser driveway picture.

I'll get it muddy asap.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well Right in the middle of doing my winch and bumper changes I find this thread. What do you know, it is the exact same thing I was in the middle of doing and I love it!!. Heres my before and after.

Parts and Pieces,
XRC8 Winch 299.99
Harbor Freight Universal Winch Plate 38.95 (Only a slight modification is needed to make this work, very simple)
1/8 Inch Rivets to hold encaps back on,

Heres my before and after.

I have a few more pictures of random stuff of the build, let me know if anyone is interested

-david

Last edited by Flyguytki; 08-26-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks awesome guys!!! Keep up the great work! Remember, if you're gonna shoot the bumper over with Duplicolor Bedliner...2 things you're gonna want to do:

#1) Before doing "any" spraying...you'll want to fill in the holes in the tops of the rivets. I did mine by using a soldering iron and some of the left over plastic from the bumper chop. All you need to do is melt a little bit of plastic into the rivet hole then let it cool off. Hit it with a light sandpaper...I mean barely (or you might pop out the plastic plug you just made). Sand smooth so the top of the rivet is now closed and flush.

#2) THEN, spray the entire bumper with Adehesion Promoter...you'll need to work fast here and the window of time is like 10 minutes or so. When the adhesion promoter starts to get milky or white looking - you need to start spraying on the Bedliner. Remeber, 1 light coat of bedliner 1st, then go over the whole thing again. This will assure a nice even finish. If you did step #1 above, after the bedliner is completed, your rivets will look much neater as there is no hole on the head of the rivets.

Have fun choppin and keep posting up your pics!!

Quick Reply: Stock Bumper "Mid-width" chop job with winch plate